Rockler clamp sale- Major dissatisfaction

Page 2 of 3
Hi Dale,
About a year ago, Rockler had an e-mail special of 50% off the 10 inch Jorgensen cabinet clamps (wooden ones). They were selling them for about $8 or so. I ordered 8 of them, within an hour, I got an e-mail that they were all sold out.
This left me with a bad feeling for them & I never order anything from them unless I can't find it anywhere else - which is seldom the case.
The good news (for you) is that Amazon currently has the 24/40 Bessey on sale for $125 and you can apply the $25 off $125 coupon (check around if you don't have one) & with free shipping, your net cost is about $100. I bought this set at this price last week with no problem about "running out of supply".
Good luck!
Lou

Dear Group, Apparently a lot of unhappy customers this morning at the Rockler stores around the country, according to the number of posts on the rec. Here in Seattle, I was the first in line at opening at 7:00 am and made a bee line for the $99 Bessey clamp set advertized. There was grand total of ............TWO........available. Within one minute, I grabbed one and another fellow, the other. The third chap was out of luck! I apologised to him and couldn't believe myself, that there were only two. He was very gracious about it. I suggested he demand that they give him the individual clamps off the rack and make good on their offer. He smiled and said " I should"! I wouldn't have been so tolerant, if the situation was reversed. Twenty sets seems reasonable..........two appears downright fraudulant! I was one of the lucky one's this morning, but had it not been for the few seconds difference, I would have rightly been upset and dissapointed. Rockler will, and should, receive some negative press from this ridiculous oversight and hopefully, ..........get their act together! Thanks, Michael

I called amazon and had them price match Rockler, I also get free shipping and the total was 105.87.
Alan
I have to agree that this is standard practice at most stores--advertise something for an extremely low price, then have only a few of them on hand. Best Buy, Fry's, Microcenter, you name it. I'm not surprised Rockler did the same thing.
The only time I can recall when a store did not pull one of these stunts was when Meijer opened a new store in my area. They had Playstations and Xbox'es advertised for $100. I expected they would have a dozen at best and that I would have to hunt down an employee to unlock a cabinet. But they had several PALLETS stacked waist high in the middle of the aisle. Help yourself. I couldn't believe my eyes. As far as I know, they had stock for the entire week of the sale.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Dale) wrote in
<snip>
The Pleasant Hill store got 11 sets of clamps, and had no say in how many they could offer - they were sent all that corporate allocated.
They could have sold 100 sets, without a problem, before noon.
Patriarch, who spends a fair amount of cash there, but sought no more clamps today. Hinges, plugs, a Forstner bit, a package of sanding disks, etc....
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Dale) wrote:

Same thing happened last year with a Jorgensen clamp promotion and Woodcraft: <http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=ISO-8859-1&threadm =tah3pv0lb15jc8gf5b4alt7f94laem78ps%404ax.com&rnum&prev=/groups%3Fq%3D bessey%2Bsale%2Brockler%2BOR%2Bwoodcraft%2Bgroup:rec.woodworking%26hl%3De n%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DISO-8859-1%26as_drrb%3Db%26as_mind%3D1%26as _minm%3D1%26as_miny%3D2003%26as_maxd%3D28%26as_maxm%3D11%26as_maxy%3D2004 %26start%3D10%26sa%3DN>
Just to add my 2cents, I'd be pissed too. It would also sour me to that retailer for a long time. Writing Ann Jackson Rockler or whoever's in charge at Rockler these days would be the way to properly vent your dissatisfaction.
____

On 27 Nov 2004 12:54:31 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Dale) wrote:
Sad story snipped...
I quit dealing with Rockler after they screwed me not once, but twice, on Internet orders. The first was minor, only a dollar "price increase" on an item that they said they would refund. Never happened. These second involved a "15% off" promo that failed to work out. So to hell with them.
But on the subject, I've made friends with a car salesman at a local family-owned new car dealership. Been in business 80 years and the owner is a pillar of the community. My friend told me that they will advertise a car at a super low price and in order to comply with advertising regulations, they do have one such car. It's usually a puky color, doesn't have a radio and is a three-speed manual tranny. In other words, something no one wants. But they *do have one for sale* and they will sell it although the obvious tactic is to sell a different car.
Our state Attorney Genenerl has filed suit against a different dealer for one of its scams, however.
And on a closing note, the local blue borg has been kicked out of the BBB.

Seems like that skirts the hairy edge of "bait and switch".

Any commentary on why?
<snip>

<snip>
Dale -
I don't believe Bessey is to blame here...we have a similar offer from Bessey, and will be running a promotion as well. From what I can see - it appears that Rockler sold below their cost to draw people into the stores.... which would explain the apparently limited stock, and the availability in-store only (these are HEAVY, and expensive to ship by mail).
When we run the sale in the new year - the inventory will be "bottomless", available by mail, but we won't be running it below cost...
Cheers -
Rob
Rob Lee wrote:

And that's exactly the way to do it. The excuse that, "but that's what everyone else is doing!" is a mistake. It is a prescription for mediocrity. As a business, you should always try to exceed the expectations of your customers. Setting them up for disappointment is a very bad move.
-Peter De Smidt

Dooh! I was hoping you were going to offer to meet the Rockler deal to please the masses. That and free shipping would go a long way to win the public favor.
All in favor, say "aye"
laughingly,
Eric in MN (incidentally, a border state. Shipping would be minimal)
Rob Lee wrote: mucho snippage...
So! What you are saying is, Rocklers is/are the rat bastards I've always thought they were?
ok, i'll go now.
UA100, kicking dirt as he leaves the room...
"Rob Lee" wrote in message ...

Rob, if you include free or subsidised shipping - I'm in.
Greg, in, ah, <whisper>A u s t r a l i a<whisper /off>
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Dale) wrote in message

SO TRUE. We don't have to play that game. Search online. Save gas. Even paying shipping, you can get a better deal on service and selection. Large corporations do not change unless forced by MONEY ISSUES, it's all they care about. Refusing to buy is the only way to send feedback they listen to.
I began tearing up Rockler flyers after I got sucked in a couple of times too many. They play this game a lot, it's not just Bessey, blaming their co-conspirators doesn't affect YOUR bottom line: you wasted time, hope and gasoline. The idea appears to be that buyers will forget the disappointment if they buy something else, especially after driving a long way. We're being played for suckers.
In the last four years, there has not been one thing I needed from Rockler I didn't get more easily from Lee Valley. And often cheaper too. Hooray for having stuff brought right to your door.
"mbrooks" wrote in message

Obviously for good reason ... it is amazing how many there are.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04
Ann Rockler Jackson wrote:

Good response! -Peter De Smidt
I wrote an email to their customer service explaining that I drove for an hour and a half, waited in line and then had an employee be rude to me. It has been a week with no response. max

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 13:07:31 -0600, Peter De Smidt

I like it. Clear, to the point, gives a reasonable explanation and offers a solutions.
Good Job Rockler! --RC
Sleep? Isn't that a totally inadequate substitute for caffine?