Woodworking lessons / Tuition

Hi All,

As I am only 13, I am struggling to find anywhere that I can get tuition, other than at school in my CDT lesson, which is 45mins. shared between 30 pupils, one lesson per week. I am clearly not going to progress very fast there! My teacher has offered me a great opportunity, to go on a residential course at Easter for 4 days and do woodworking etc. I am going to do to take this opportunity and go for it. I really want to have lessons as well though..

Does anyone know of anyone in NE London, UK who would be willing to do tutoring?

Does anyone know of any good "teach yourself" websites for woodworking?

Thanks,

Sam

Reply to
Sam Berlyn

Greetings from Houston, Texas, Sam,

With intelligence, application and desire, there is not much that you can't learn out of books. Sounds like you have what it takes, so get busy reading, as well as taking every opportunity that comes your way to follow your dream.

Got a public library around? And for woodworking titles to look out for, check the wREC archives:

Swingman

Hi Sam,

You'll learn much more by watching a skilled carpenter/joiner than with books or even at college. I'm in Cornwall so too far away to help you but would if you were nearer. You certainly have the right attitude and seem very keen, which is a rare thing to find in an apprentice nowadays!

By the way, because of your age make certain that your parents meet and take details of anyone 'taking you out for the day/week' I don't mean to sound condescending but there could be a risk.

David

p.s. good luck

Reply to
Dave

Dave responds:

And whoever is teaching should meet Sam's parents and get a permission slip stating they understand the possible risks in woodworking.

It isn't just the 13 year old who faces possible risk here.

Charlie Self "Giving every man a vote has no more made men wise and free than Christianity has made them good." H. L. Mencken

Reply to
Charlie Self

Sam, what constitutes a 'good' teach yourself website depends in large part on what you want to learn. One of the best ways to find these places is to do a Google search on the kinds of items you want to make and the kinds of techniques you want to learn. (ie, 'hope chests' or 'hand-cut dovetails.') You'll find enough good sites to keep you busy for a long time.

--RC

Sleep? Isn't that a totally inadequate substitute for caffine?

Reply to
rcook5

Yes, Thanks Dave,

Sam

Reply to
Sam Berlyn

Try and watch all the woodworking programs on Discovery Home & Leisure (though give "The Salvager" a miss !).

Bob Martin

Reply to
Bob Martin

Hello Sam,

You might be surprised how much you can learn from 45 minutes a week- it's all about asking questions. To learn most things, you can get a lot out of the various woodworking magazines and a good deal of practice in your shop. There are a couple of things where it helps to have a real person showing you what's what, and those are what you should focus on with the time you've got- for me, it was sharpening plane irons and setting the suckers up, but you may have other things you're struggling with.

I'd help you out if I could, but you're a bit too far away!

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus