RO sander - VS or not?

The PC 5" RO sander (333) can be had w/ variable speed or without. The $ difference is $15.
Is VS worth it? or would one 90% of the time be running at full speed anyway?
Hi, This was discussed on Monday. Just scroll up for some input. JG
nospam snipped-for-privacy@mesanetworks.net wrote:

Yes though not a must-have, and yes, more like 98%.
This VERY question was asked not 2-3 days ago. Do a google search!
nospam snipped-for-privacy@mesanetworks.net wrote in message

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 00:19:44 -0700, nospam snipped-for-privacy@mesanetworks.net wrote:

I have one of each. My most common use for a lower speed is with 220 and 320 grit discs when sanding finishes. I rarely slow the sander down on raw wood.
Barry
I have had both, and I seldom use the vs. My current favorite is the Ridgid R2600 with VS, Psa and velcro pads with case for $70 at hone depot. max

nospam snipped-for-privacy@mesanetworks.net wrote:

I have had the variable-speed model for about two years now. I don't recall *ever* operating it at less than full speed. YMMV...
The Ridgid R2600 is an excellent ROS with VS and it is only $70 at Home Depot. It comes with a 3 year guarantee, case, PSA and H&L pads and is very nice to use. max

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 00:19:44 -0700, nospam snipped-for-privacy@mesanetworks.net wrote:

This discussion is interesting because I've had two PC 333 (not VS) for a couple of years and I never thought about variable speed until this discussion.
Yesterday I was doing some hand sanding on a small piece where the grain direction was along the short and curved dimension. I thought that a ROS would leave a more uniform finish and realized I could use my router speed control on the ROS. I tried it on my test piece and it worked like a champ. Very easy to control and a much better finish than sanding across the grain (and easier than sanding with the grain).
I'm now sold on using a speed control with the sander but doubt that I will ever buy a sander with VS - the external speed control worked fine.
TWS

Sounds like a great tip. I wonder, though, how AC motors can operate on a speed control. My lathe is variable speed, but it has a 240v. DC motor.

generally speaking, if the motor has brushes, you can use it with a speed controller.
so routers, drills and most handheld power tools work fine.
washing machine motors and most stationary tools don't.
snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote: generally speaking, if the motor has brushes, you can use it with a

I'm sitting here trying to imagine why someone would need to run a wachine machine at a slower speed than normal... ;)
-BAT

well, uh, see... I have some very delicate clothes and.... um...
    Bridger         (who has seen plenty of bench grinders powered with old washing machine motors)