RO sander - VS or not?

The PC 5" RO sander (333) can be had w/ variable speed or without. The $ difference is $15.

Is VS worth it? or would one 90% of the time be running at full speed anyway?

Reply to
nospam_coloradotrout

Yes though not a must-have, and yes, more like 98%.

Reply to
C & S

This VERY question was asked not 2-3 days ago. Do a google search!

Reply to
James Cubby Culbertson

I have one of each. My most common use for a lower speed is with 220 and 320 grit discs when sanding finishes. I rarely slow the sander down on raw wood.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

I have had both, and I seldom use the vs. My current favorite is the Ridgid R2600 with VS, Psa and velcro pads with case for $70 at hone depot. max

Reply to
max

I have had the variable-speed model for about two years now. I don't recall

*ever* operating it at less than full speed. YMMV...

Doug Miller

The Ridgid R2600 is an excellent ROS with VS and it is only $70 at Home Depot. It comes with a 3 year guarantee, case, PSA and H&L pads and is very nice to use. max

Reply to
max

This discussion is interesting because I've had two PC 333 (not VS) for a couple of years and I never thought about variable speed until this discussion.

Yesterday I was doing some hand sanding on a small piece where the grain direction was along the short and curved dimension. I thought that a ROS would leave a more uniform finish and realized I could use my router speed control on the ROS. I tried it on my test piece and it worked like a champ. Very easy to control and a much better finish than sanding across the grain (and easier than sanding with the grain).

I'm now sold on using a speed control with the sander but doubt that I will ever buy a sander with VS - the external speed control worked fine.

TWS

Reply to
TWS

Sounds like a great tip. I wonder, though, how AC motors can operate on a speed control. My lathe is variable speed, but it has a 240v. DC motor.

Reply to
Phisherman

generally speaking, if the motor has brushes, you can use it with a speed controller.

so routers, drills and most handheld power tools work fine.

washing machine motors and most stationary tools don't.

Reply to
bridger

snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote: generally speaking, if the motor has brushes, you can use it with a

I'm sitting here trying to imagine why someone would need to run a wachine machine at a slower speed than normal... ;)

-BAT

Reply to
Brett A. Thomas

well, uh, see... I have some very delicate clothes and.... um...

Bridger (who has seen plenty of bench grinders powered with old washing machine motors)

Reply to
bridger