"Ripping" baseboard on a router table?

Page 3 of 3
On Sun, 30 May 2010 07:54:40 -0500, Steve Turner

Truth!
-- A well-informed mind is the best security against the contagion of folly and of vice. The vacant mind is ever on the watch for relief, and ready to plunge into error, to escape from the languor of idleness. -- Ann Radcliffe
Add pictures here
✖
On May 29, 8:28 am, "John Grossbohlin"

Assuming I actually had a a rip saw, bench plane, draw knife, or even a spoke shave. :-)
Add pictures here
✖

Take it out to the driveway or street, concrete or asphalt. Push down, slide back and forth, 1/4" gone in about 1/2 hr. :-)
--

-MIKE-

✖
On 5/29/2010 1:49 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

It's normal here to assume that posters have some means of reshaping wood.
If you're without, perhaps you can visit a store that has these tools on its shelves and explain that you'd like to "preserve" one them...
--
Morris Dovey
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto /

Yes, preserve some L-N stuff for someone to pick up at a yard sale for a penny on the dollar after you're gone. "Not sure if it works or not, my father never used it."
John
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 29 May 2010 11:49:06 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Yet another tragedy concerning the poor, disadvantaged Normites!
--------------------------------------------------- I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol. ---------------------------------------------------
Add pictures here
✖

It was a good day at Dad's house.
I replaced the old cranky garbage disposer with a super quiet InSinkErator (I hate old house plumbing)
Dad's hard of hearing so I replaced the switch for the disposer with one that has a pilot light (I hate old house wiring)
I upgraded Mom's computer (SP2, IE7, new anti-virus software, etc.)
I cut down the Wisteria that had taken over the side of the garage (I love reciprocating saws)
Oh yeah, I also ripped (yes *ripped*) about 20 feet of baseboard. It turned out that I needed to take off about 1/2", not the 1/4" Dad had said. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I had my old Hirsch Saw Table in the van and I was able to mount my PC circular saw to it. It's a left handed saw (I love that thing!) so I had to mount it "backwards" on the table, but I managed to get the clips to fit.
I found a piece of nice straight angle iron to use as a fence and *carefully* ripped the baseboard to fit. The longest piece I had to do was 75", the rest I cut down to about 3' before ripping and then cut them to size with the miter saw.
All in all, it was good day. Dad's helped me out a lot over the years and it's nice to be able to do stuff for him now that he's, shall we say, slowing down a bit. (Early 80's)
Anyway, thanks for the suggestions...this certainly was a lively thread!
Add pictures here
✖

Good on you!
Add pictures here
✖
DerbyDad03 said:

--------------------------------------- Those are the best kind of attaboys.
You get to spend them now and remember them forever.
Lew
Add pictures here
✖
On 5/30/2010 12:42 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Saw the Chet Atkins special on PBS last night.
"I Still Can't Say Goodbye" will bring tears to the eye of strongest man out there:
http://new.music.yahoo.com/videos/Chet+Atkins/I+Still+Can%27t+Say+Goodbye--2138979
The band, who had never heard the song before, much less had heard Chet sing, had eyes glistening with tears by the end of the song.
Powerful ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

http://new.music.yahoo.com/videos/Chet+Atkins/I+Still+Can%27t+Say+Goodbye--2138979
Bring tears to a glass eye ...
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 29 May 2010 20:03:31 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Tell me about it. I installed a 3-piece faucet in a mobile home bathroom yesterday. The downpipe was 2 piece but the replacement was one. I had to bend and twist the glued ABS pipes to get it to fit. It was || close to breaking into a million pieces. Whew!

I'll bet that was a fun house to visit when he forgot.

I prefer thermonuclear weapons for Wisteria, myself.

Whatever works. Kudos.

Yeah, I know how that goes.

As catfights go. <bseg>
--------------------------------------------------- I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol. ---------------------------------------------------
Add pictures here
✖

re: ">>Dad's hard of hearing so I replaced the switch for the disposer with

You couldn't forget that the old Kenmore was running. Heck, the *neighbors* couldn't forget that the old Kenmore was running. The thing sounded like that thermonuclear weapon you like to use for Wisteria.
The InSinkErator Evolution series are so quiet that even I sometimes forget that mine is on until I turn the water off.
Besides the insulation on the unit itself and the anti-vibration gaskets on the mounting bracket and drain connection, they use a rubber baffle in the drain that's designed so that the water pools and forms an additional sound barrier.
Once they chop up the food, they are really, really, quiet.
Add pictures here
✖
Perhaps the key work is rip **CUT*** and not rip **chew*. The waste piece is wood chips.
So the question comes down too... what is the definition of "rip" cutting?
Somebody figure this out and go change the wikipedia definition before it gets out of hand, here...LOL The point being wikipedia is quite often wrong and just somebody's opinion that has the energy to type it in.
<BLOCKQUOTE type="cite">No more a "rip" cut than if you removed 1/4" on a jointer .. .. just <BR>semantics. <BR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>So there has to be a cut-off (waste) piece in order for it to be a rip? <BR><BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE>Did I ever say that ?? ?? ??&nbsp;&nbsp; I don't think so !! !! !!<BR><BR>From WIKIPEDIA : In <A title=Woodworking href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodworking">woodworking</A>, a <B>rip cut</B> is a cut made parallel to the <A title="Wood grain" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_grain">wood grain</A>. Rip cuts are commonly made with a <A title="Table saw" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_saw">table saw</A>, but other types of saws can also be used, including <A title="Hand saw" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_saw">hand</A> <A title="Rip saw" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rip_saw">rip saws</A>, <A title="Radial arm&#13;&#10; saw" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radial_arm_saw">radial arm saws</A> and <A class=mw-redirect title="Band saw" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Band_saw">band saws</A>.<BR><BR>Kinda implies that we're talking about types of saws when referring to a rip cut .. not routers or jointers.&nbsp;&nbsp; In other words .. you can certainly NARROW a board using a jointer or router .. but it doesn't meet the criteria for calling it a "rip".&nbsp;&nbsp; I mean .. if someone gave you a piece of lumber and asked you to rip it in half .. would you head to the router table or the table saw ??&nbsp;&nbsp; I don't think a rip operation mandates a piece of waste .. I think a rip operation implies it will be done with some type of saw as stated in the WIKI definition.&nbsp;&nbsp; Heck .. I don't care if you get a trained beaver to chew it off .. it will result in a narrower piece of stock, but it wouldn't have been ripped to get there.<BR><BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
Add pictures here
✖
wrote the following:

Not in my book, there doesn't. I often rip an RCH off a board to get it to fit or clean up the look. But the -usual- outcome of rip cuts 2 pieces, and one of them is not necessarily waste. The definition of rip is to cut with the grain, so planes, jointers, and even some router cuts could be considered rips.
Add pictures here
✖

A "rip" like the OP needed would actually be a cross cut. The router bit cuts across the grain while producing a rip-cut like result.
Cutting along the end grain with a router bit would be a form of rip cut, as the blade is cutting along the grain.
Puckdropper

✖