Right Angle Drill Powered by Regular Batteries?

Page 1 of 2

I am looking for a small handheld right angle drill that is powered by normal alkaline or Nimh batteries. This unit will be used maybe twice a year and it hardly seems worth the hassle of a recharger and proprietary lithium battery. Any recommendations for this?

I dont know of any power tool that has or had alkaline batteries and none that I know of that uses normal batteries, what ever normal batteries may be.
Nickel-Metal Hydride is about as basic and old technology s you are going to find available today.
I would be shocked to learn of a worthwhile drill that runs on non rechargable or throw away batteries.
I have had this drill since the mid 80's. It needed a new battery 10 years ago, so I hear you on wanting something that is going to waste away.
http://www.makita.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/ToolDetails.aspx?ID7
Consider also a corded right angle drill.
http://www.milwaukeetool.com/ProductCategory.aspx?CategoryName=SC%3a++Close+Quarter+Drills

battery when you need to use it.

What about getting hold of a second-hand one from somewhere, ideally with a knackered battery, and cobbling together a new battery pack made from these Sanyo Eneloop type rechargeables that hold their charge for a long time? I think they have a NiMH chemistry, but have a long shelf life.

How about a slightly different solution? http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?pX827&cat=1,43411,43417 and to the right angle driver, you'd add a quick change chuck with a hex shaft.
wrote in message

I went ahead and picked up one of these thanks.

On Sat, 18 Sep 2010 15:00:56 -0600, Upscale wrote

I looked long and hard for a quality RA adapter that wasn't made of plastic. I love this unit: http://www.milwaukeetool.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductIdI-22 - 8510&CategoryName=SC%3a+Adapters
-Bruce

I missed the wrap on that URL and couldn't find the RA accessory. A tinyurl would have worked. OMG, what am I saying? Jaquez will be offended.
Max
On 9/19/10 11:10 AM, Max wrote:

The colon usually helps avoid the wrap.
--
Froz...

http://supercolonblow.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/colonblow2.jpg
On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 09:03:19 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

(singing) Oooooohhhh... It ain't no use if you ain't got the boost, the boost you get from Looseners! Loooooooooooooo-snerrrrrrrz! Castor Oil Flakes.
-- Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.
On 9/19/2010 11:03 AM, Robatoy wrote:

<SPEW!> (wipes spittle from the screen) Any idea if there are bigger versions of that image? I've gotta make a few people aware of this new product! LOL!
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
On 9/20/2010 3:48 PM, Steve Turner wrote:

It's from an SNL sketch, so it would be a video capture.
<http://www.hulu.com/watch/10304/saturday-night-live-colon-blow

Only at a preview, Maxxy Baby. That and spaces in filenames.
Oh, and the use of "try and", "there's many", "a myriad of", "tempacher", "for my wife and I", and a few others. ;)
-- Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Geez, Lar, could you make a list for me. I hate to offend anyone.....................unintentionally.
Max (by the way, it's "Maxie", not Maxxy) sheesh.
On 9/18/2010 4:13 PM, W wrote:

In this day and age you're unlikely to find one that is not part of some manufacturer's tool system. The battery doesn't have to be lithium to be proprietary though--every major manufacturer had proprietary nicad or nimh batteries long before lithium.
You don't say what it has to do. How big a hole does it have to drill and in what? There are all sorts of right angle solutions, but without more information it's difficult to suggest one that is appropriate to your needs.

This tool will be used to drill in electrical faceplates in tight spaces as well as tighten screws on door knobs.

I'd be nervous about stripping the knob set screw. When I'm concerned about torque I like to use a hand tool. Smaller, simpler and more versatile is better. I use one of those little stubby ratchet sets, similar this: http://www.toolsdiy.co.uk/shop/view/hand-tools/offset-reversible-ratchet-screwdriver-bit / Mine's nicer, smaller and comes in a little vinyl kit - think it's automotive, but I don't have it on hand to check out the brand. The things are great - there's no way you'd be faster and surer with a power tool...certainly not cheaper and arguably more versatile.
I found LI didn't like my shop. Can't freeze them or cook them in the summer.
Got two for Christmas - the one I kept in the house runs nice. The wrench I got for a shop machine - died. Not replaceable without dissemble actions. I might look at finding a replacement battery of some sort.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net "Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /

Try eBay.