right angle drill

Page 1 of 3

Seems like every time I turn around these days I am running across the need to drill/screw in tight spots (yeah, Edwin ... go ahead and pun away) so I've decided to bite the bullet.
Makita look$ like it may be the be$t a$ far a$ $ize and the ability to both drill and $crew, but ouch$$!
DeWalt makes an 18v model that comes in a "kit", but it seems you can't buy anything but the damn whole shooting match, battery included, even though you may already own other 18v DeWalt cordless tools?
I will likely go with the Makita, but thought I'd give wRec'ers a chance to lag their .02 ...
TIA
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/05

Some years ago I bought the DeWalt 14.4 v. model, as I had all 14.4 tools. There was no cheaper way to get two fresh batteries and another charger. The drill was free. My only complaint is the reversing switch is pretty small.
"Chip" in Columbus

I looked at HF: http://order.harborfreight.com/EasyAsk/harborfreight/results.jsp where they are about$50. For so little use, I wouldn't get something battery powered, unless you have other tools with the same battery. I've had several bats go bad just sitting.
HF has air angle drills for about the same price. They turn much faster and are better for working with small bits, so if you have air handy, they are a good choice. I have several HF air tools and all are fine after several years of light use.
Wilson

"Wilson" wrote in message

little used, but when you need it nothing else will do.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/05

I have the Makita & is still going strong after 10 years, but when I am not using it for tight area work it does not sit around- I keep a countersink bit in it so I don't have to swap bits constantly in my other screw gun.
MikeB

You didn't mention if you had to be cordless or at exactly a 90-degree angle. So I offereth thou this solid suggestion:
My favourite amongst the tailed species is the Milwaukee 1/2" 0-750 RPM Close Quarter Drill. Lots of balls and a nice feel to it after you use it for a while. Milwaukee also makes a 3/8" version of the same configuration, but it doesn't feel the same, but doesn't cost as much.
Models 0375-6 and 0379-1. Neither are cheap.
The 0379-1 is my main squeeze... I use it for EVERYTHING. It's my screw driver. The weird pendulum weight distribution takes a load off the wrists when driving screws.
http://tinyurl.com/bg9gt
Actually... this was more like 3 cents worth.
"Robatoy" wrote in message

Thanks ... the extra penny is much appreciated!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/05

I agree. The Milwaukee is my choice. I also have a Makita, (well had, I loaned to a friend 5 years ago.) it was fine but the chuck was junk. I also have the Milwaukee Hole Hawg - awesome drill when real power is needed.
Dave

You mean the one you put a 6" self feed bit in, then put in the 4' pipe handles and get 2 BIG guys to hang on to them and absorb the torque?DAMHIKT
--
Nahmie
Stupidity is not considered a handicap, park elsewhere.
Swingman wrote:

"Mike Berger" wrote in message

I've only seen the American Vermont version locally, wasn't impressed. I've heard tell of a Milwaukee version, but haven't been able to locate one locally. They all look like they add quite a bit of length with the housing and chuck, then add in the drill bit length and I'm almost back where I started from.
From what I've seen thus far, the "close quarters" designed drills probably make more $en$e for my use.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/05

HD has the Milwaukee ones...at least here they do. They're handy..but two-handed. One to hold the adaptor, the other to run the drill. For small stuff only, because as the bevel gears load up, friction increases and the thing wants to jump out of your fingers.
Mike Berger wrote:

I first got one of those adapters some time in the '60s. They work OK (the good ones), but they're not much good in really tight quarters. I've liked the Souix and the Craftsman--made by Souix, I'm reasonably sure.
on 10/26/2005 4:16 PM Swingman said the following:

Have to be cordless? If not, take a look at the Milwaukee 3/8" close quarter drill/driver. Reversible, variable speed. Very comfortable fit in hand. Tool King had them for about $60 as factory reconditioned. Couldn't tell it by looking at the one I bought. Pristine condition, unmarked. Nice tool.
"Unquestionably Confused" wrote in message

Prefer it not to be ... it's just that I have a couple of 18v DeWalt tools with two very good, reconditioned batteries.
If not, take a look at the Milwaukee 3/8" close

Between you and Robatoy, that might be it ... the price is right on the 3/8 reconditioned at Tool King and that's all I really need for the cabinet work.
Thanks!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/05

...btw.. the reason I like the 1/2" is due to its slow speed (0-750). The 3/8 is a bit hasty (0-1500)and makes it a bit more difficult to stop that screw 'just so' even when feathering the paddle... but in everyday use, you'll get to know it soon enough.
Unquestionably Confused Wrote: > on 10/26/2005 4:16 PM Swingman said the following:

> need

> so

> both

> fit

Been using a Milwaukee 3/8-in angle drill for years. Never used the -in version. That little critter is a godsend! Durable, not quite 90-deg angle, variable speed makes it ideal for finishing work when used with the 3M Roto-Loc system. I use it extensively for fiberglass repair, running for hours at a time. It is very much a one-handed tool. On the negative side, it is keyed chuck. Would be nice if it were a keyless chuck. Closest alternative that I know of is the Makita. Ive also use it, a true 90-deg angle, also variable speed, much heavier, larger, almost twice the price, doesnt lend itself to hours of one-handed use. If you need an angle drill for hard, daily use hours at a time, the Makita is a better choice.
--
joe2

joe2 wrote:

Joe, did you ever consider replacing the keyed chuck on the Milwaukee with a keyless chuck?
I have an old (~ 17 yrs now) Makita 7.2v 3/8" cordless that was my "I just need a little drill for a little job" drill. Got tired of the key so I replaced it with the keyless. Easy fix and relatively cheap as I recall. Now you've got me thinking that it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to switchover the Milwaukee<g>

My wife gave me a Makita right angle drill, 7.2 volt in 1983. It is now 22 years old. The battery still works. Now the battery does not work like new but I seldom use the drill except for those tight spots and I have to recharge when I anticipate needing to use the drill. But that said, the battery still will take a charge and it gets my situation handled.
Swingman wrote:

<snip>
You don't mention the size chuck needed.
I use a 2 speed, 1/2" antique Makita, corded unit since I drill quite a few holes with large hole saws.
If you need a large unit, I'd give Milwaukee a hard look.
If smaller, my guess the German stuff may be to your liking.
Lew