right angle drill

You mean the one you put a 6" self feed bit in, then put in the 4' pipe handles and get 2 BIG guys to hang on to them and absorb the torque?DAMHIKT

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

Check out ebay. You can find the Dewalt for around $75 for the drill only if you already have batteries and don't want the whole kit.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Boyd

You won't hear anything from me. Afterall, it was just a week or so we discussed automobiles and the Corvair I used to own. We used to part at the airport and . . . . . . . . Oh, back to DeWalt

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I got a Milwaukee a few years ago when I ran into this problem. Went with the corded version; it seems to be well built.

Mark & Juanita

Heh, heh, heh... I (mis)spent much of my youth in the back seat of a '66 Corvair ;-)

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Try a Renault 4CV. Where there's a will there's a way ...

Reply to
Swingman

Good to hear that. I just ordered a reconditioned, corded Milwaukee close quarter from Tool King last night (Robatoy's second choice) and we'll see how it goes. I have a tailed 1/2" Milwaukee that I bought a few years ago that has been a good performer.

Reply to
Swingman

I first got one of those adapters some time in the '60s. They work OK (the good ones), but they're not much good in really tight quarters. I've liked the Souix and the Craftsman--made by Souix, I'm reasonably sure.

Reply to
Charlie Self

I didn't misspend any time that way, but I spent a bit of time. You might want to consider the FRONT seat of a '60 Studebaker Lark 2 door. No room for 6'2" in the back seat. I'm shorter now, but bigger around, so it all equals out, I guess.

Reply to
Charlie Self

I guess everyone has an opinion here!

When I needed a right angle drill to run an electrical cable I got a 12v dewalt because I found it really cheap on ebay. Works fine.

If you want a Dewalt, but don't want anymore batteries, I am sure you can find one on ebay easily enough.

Reply to
Toller

I might as well pipe in, too, then ;)

What I do when I need to drive a screw in a tight spot is use a socket wrench with a Phillips bit adapter. Something along these lines:

Of course, I rather seldom need to drive screws in tight areas, so YMMV.

-John

Reply to
John Girouard

I do a lot of bowl sanding, which is a drill killer... wanted the Milwaukee close quarter but couldn't justify the cost.. Ended up with a chiwanese clone from ebay for about $30 including shipping, and it's been doing a great job for the last few months.. YMMV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

If you're looking for a cordless right angle, I got my 9.6v Makita pretty cheap on ebay.

They're reasonably priced brand new at any of the Borg's too.

John

Reply to
John Emmons

I've had a MAkita right angle drill for 14 years and I use it a lot an dI've never had any problems with it.

Gregg Replicas of 15th-19th century nautical navigational instruments, Restoration of my 1919 Herreshoff S-Boat sailboat, and Steambending FAQ with photos:

gregg

Swingman wrote: : Seems like every time I turn around these days I am running across the need : to drill/screw in tight spots (yeah, Edwin ... go ahead and pun away) so : I've decided to bite the bullet.

: Makita look$ like it may be the be$t a$ far a$ $ize and the ability to both : drill and $crew, but ouch$$!

Search Google for recent posts on rec.crafts.woodturning. A lot of people have been pleased with a $29.99 close-quarters drill from JM Tools in Riverside, CA. Woodturners use them pretty heavy-handedly, and these seem a good bargain (I bought two, but haven't used them yet).

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

I bought the 12V DeWalt a couple years back on Amazon for about $120 or so. Got two batteries to share with my other 12V DeWalt tools. Works great but the reverse switch is hard to use compared to other DeWalt tools.

Reply to
bob

Been using a Milwaukee 3/8-in angle drill for years. Never used the ½-in version. That little critter is a godsend! Durable, not quite

90-deg angle, variable speed makes it ideal for finishing work when used with the 3M Roto-Loc system. I use it extensively for fiberglass repair, running for hours at a time. It is very much a one-handed tool. On the negative side, it is keyed chuck. Would be nice if it were a keyless chuck. Closest alternative that I know of is the Makita. I?ve also use it, a true 90-deg angle, also variable speed, much heavier, larger, almost twice the price, doesn?t lend itself to hours of one-handed use. If you need an angle drill for hard, daily use hours at a time, the Makita is a better choice.
Reply to
joe2

Joe, did you ever consider replacing the keyed chuck on the Milwaukee with a keyless chuck?

I have an old (~ 17 yrs now) Makita 7.2v 3/8" cordless that was my "I just need a little drill for a little job" drill. Got tired of the key so I replaced it with the keyless. Easy fix and relatively cheap as I recall. Now you've got me thinking that it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to switchover the Milwaukee

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

FedEx delivered the corded 3/8 Milwaukee "close quarter" yesterday, put it right to work drilling shelf pin holes in an existing cabinet ... puuurrrfect!

Thanks for all the input.

Reply to
Swingman

Hate to say that I told you so, but...