ridgid?

Just looking at this company any one here what there products are like. Are they ok for a average person. Or are they junk. Just looking for some starter tools. I have never heard of them until recently. Something about them being bought out by another company and HD taking them as there house product. Thanks for any help

Reply to
Trevor

Don't confuse Ridgid plumbing tools with the Ridgid power tools though. The plumbing tools are top of the line, the woodworking power tools are mid line. They used to be made by Emerson Electric, but now are made by others, including Ryobi.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I have a contractors saw of theirs I use on the job site only and its a great saw. It came with a two wheeled cart it mounts to and does a fine job for what I use it for which is framing and trim. It flds up nicely and is easily moved around. We build log homes and so as you can imagine there is alot of custom trim and framing that goes into the house. Ive had it for about a year now with no problems. Its used damn near everyday.

Jim

Reply to
James D Kountz

Search the archives on Google. There has been quite a bit of discussion on this topic in the recent past.

Rigdid woodworking tools used to be manufactured by Emerson, the same company that used to make Sears Craftsman power tools back when the we worth buying. HD is switching to a new supplier after being unable to resolve some issues with Emerson - probably price reductions.

I have several Ridgid tools - the 3612 table saw and the oscillating belt sander. Both work well for me. The table saw required very little adjustment and is powerful enough for me. I haven't done the conversion to 240v yet but expect that that this will make a slight improvement. With a Forrest WWII blade, it cuts quite smoothly. The only thing that I am not happy with is the splitter / blade guard.

In general, they tend to be middle of the road in quality and are often reasonable value for the price\ - Not as good as the high end stuff, but not nearly as expensive. I recently looked at their new handle-held power tools and am not impressed.

Compare them with the high priced models. Think about what features are important to you and how you will use the tools.

Reply to
Bob Haar