Any idea what happened here?.........

Earlier today our electricity tripped. Flicked it back on, and looked for any clues as to what might have caused it.

As soon as I walked into the kitchen there was the distinctive smell of something blown so I looked around to see what it was. EVERYTHING that was plugged in was working fine!! I even plugged in the other things in there and they all work OK.

Lights are working and also a central heating timer, so for the life of me I can't figure out what happened!!

Reply to
'Nel'

In message , 'Nel' writes

Better to identify the cause before reconnecting the power.

Have you located the source of the smell?

Reply to
Si

Possibly a mains interference suppressor capacitor blew. Locate by smell.

Geo

Reply to
Geo

Mice? Or anything shorting the supply thats been blown away by the fault. Kitchen location would concern me. Maybe an appliance with intermittent leakage. Might be an idea to get the circuits & appliances tested.

Reply to
OldBill

Good call. That didn't cross my mind but I would agree.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

What had tripped? A MCB or a RCD?

If RCD, then which circuits does the RCD protect?

As has been suggested, a suppression cap would be one possibility. A start cap on an induction motor would be another (so fridge/freezer, ch pump, fans (boiler) etc).

Reply to
John Rumm

Had this with a washing machine once. There was an RFI suppressor sitting across the line before the switch on the machine. This blew apart - taking the plug fuse and the MCB. The machine still worked after replacing the fuse. It's just possible the MCB or an RCD could trip without the plug fuse blowing. The RFI suppressor had connections to line neutral and earth.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I just assumed it was a blown bulb or something - happens every now & then, causing the light's trip switch to go. Only after I realised it wasn't the lights did I go back and noticed it had been the downstairs socket's trip.

It only lasted for 20-30 seconds as the back door was open at the time.

Reply to
'Nel'

Dishwashers and washing machines may have a fault or leak in a component (heater / pump) that isn't used straight away.

Reply to
Chris Hodges

How about - some plug/socket/connector/appliance got a bit of water in, causing the short? It could have dried out instantly when it shorted (smell implies some heat) and "cured" the problem. But obviously if so, you need to locate it, to prevent it happening again and to check for damage at the point the short occurred.

David

Reply to
Lobster

It shouldnt be necessary to guess, get out the multimeter and test the appliances. MMs pick up most such faults, if not all.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

clues as to what

something blown so I looked

I even plugged in the

can't figure out what

Ours blew while we were on holiday - got a call from the kids. Turned out to be the igniter on the hob. Tried that?

Reply to
Dave Gordon

Yeah, it's fine. It's been 2 weeks now and still no noticable clue.

Reply to
'Nel'