Surgeprotector Question. What happened?

Hello,

I had about four items plugged into the surgeprotector. Only one item on. The breaker is 15 amp? I am not sure on the terminology since I am new at this. Anyway, I plugged a desk lamp (was turned off) into the surgeprotector and the surgeprotector blew and the breaker went off. The Surgeprotector is an APC unit, about $50 retail. I smell a burning smell on the surgeprotector. I guess it is toast. Now the AC's breaker went off as well. 20 amp I plugged another surgeprotector in and everything is working fine again. The surgeprotector was on when I plugged the lamp in.

-What happened, in electrical terms?

-Should the surgeprotector have been off before plugging anything into it? I plugged the lamp into the "always on" plug on the surgeprotector.

-Is the lamp bad?

JJ

Reply to
johnj

A regular desk lamp in working order should not cause any problem. Does the lamp work in the substituted surgeprotector. There may be an intermittant short in the lamp.

Why don't you go to

and ask them. I have always found them to be helpful.

Reply to
JoeM