Ridge Carbide Saw Blade - Lee Valley

I was recently at the Woodworks show in Ontario CA. While wandering around the small show hoping to see the Lee Valley booth in all its glory (more on this later), I saw the Ridge Carbide booth. I liked what I saw and picked up a TS-2000 blade. I had some Walnut to rip so loaded up the TS-2000. Using it was great. It cut better/smother than my Forrest (freshly sharpened) and as well as my custom made blade. All-in-all, a very nice blade.

As for Lee Valley, their booth did disappoint me. They had nothing for sale and delivery on site, only catalog orders with free shipping. But what the heck, I ordered a router plane and a few other goodies.

Man do I wish Robin would open a store in SoCal! (Maybe he will franchise on and I'll open it here!)

Dave

Reply to
Teamcasa

I am not doubting your conclusions but remember that a blade that is simply resharpened may not be completely brought back to factory specs. I always have my blades reflattened when resharpened. If the Forrest is not running true anymore it could be "out done" by a B&D lifted off the stack of 100 at the borg.

Reply to
Leon

"JGS"

It was $88.00. Yes, the Forrest was a sharpened at Forrest. Just for kicks, I pulled a second brand new Forrest WW2 from the shelve, loaded it up and ripped the same piece. Results were the same. The Ridge Carbide cut polished clean edge and the WW2 did an very nice job as well.

Under close inspection of both blades, the RC blade does have larger carbide teeth. This will allow for more sharpening but other than that, they seem to be of equal quality. However, I returned the RC blade to the saw for more use.

Dave

Reply to
Teamcasa

I agree. However, it was a factory re-sharpening and I also tested it against a second, new WW2.

Let me say that I don't know anyone at Ridge Carbide or have an axe to grind against Forrest. As far as I'm concerened, I just happy to have found another blade supplier that produces a high quality blade for a reasonable cost. My custom made blades still do the lion's share of cutting although I did put the RC blade back into the saw and will give it a long, hard test drive.

Dave

Reply to
Teamcasa

First time posting via Google (don't ask), so I don't know if this will be a bottom or top post. Ah well...

FWIW, I have had a Ridge Carbide blade for about three years and a Forrest II for about 2 years. They seem to perform the same. Happy with both. I also bought the RC blade at a woodworking show for about the same $(I think, poor memory) as Dave.

I've sent the RC blade to Ridge for sharpening but haven't tried it since I got it back.

Bill Leonhardt

Reply to
Bill Leonhardt

Understood, My point was not to condemn your findings and I understand you feelings. Factory sharpened by Forrest does not necessarily mean that the blade will be flattened or cut like new. IF the blade is not flat, resharpening is not going to improve the cut to factory specs regardless of who resharpens it. IIRC you have to request for the blade to be reflattened in addition to resharpening or simply ask that the blade be brought back to factory specs, and hope that UPS does not bend it on the way home. LOL Either way I am happy to know about your findings with the Ridge blade in case I become less enchanted with Forrest.

Reply to
Leon

Leon,

Agreed. Sometimes its nice to know we have more options.

Enchanted Forrest! Whew. Almost missed that one!

Dave

Teamcasa

I bought a Ridge Carbide a couple of years ago at a show. They had a very good deal on the 40T combo and an 8" dado blade. I don't recall the cost, but it was a saving of well over $50. In comparison tests a few years back, American Woodworker gave them an Editors Choice.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski