Unisaw motor bearings

Has anyone ever done the bearings in a delta unisaw motor, this would be a

10 year old saw so its a newer style. My saw has made a noise for the past month or so and I think its the motor. there is some play/runout on the motor shaft.
Reply to
wayne mak

Yes, I replaced the motor and bearings in my 15 yr old unisaw couple of years ago,,, No real problems, though the arbor threads got a little distorted and I had to re-thread it some. Used a hydraulic press and just shoved em on...

Reply to
Roger King

An article on the subject was just posted within the last couple of weeks in the Articles section of WoodCentral

LRod

Reply to
wayne mak

Yes, it is not that hard to do if you are careful.

Disconnect all connections in the power connection box on the motor case

Disconnect wiring to the capacitors and remove them. Discharge the capacitors first so you don't get a pop.

Remove the bell housing and fan. newer models have a snap pin holding the fan on.

Take some fingernail polish or paint and put a dab on the case to endcap joint at several spots so you can put it back in perfect alignment, although it probably isn't that important.

remove the nuts holding the tie rods on.

carefully pry off the end caps.

I cant remember if you have to disconnect the centrifugal switch. I was taking mine down further so I had to. You may have to to get to the fan end bearing.

Bearings are slip fit to the end cap (OD) and press fit to the shaft (ID) so you need a small gear puller to get the old ones off.

Put on new bearings. I tapped them on with a wooden dowel that had a hole cut in the center to clear the shaft.

reassemble in reverse order.

Good idea to take digital pictures of your connections as you go so that you can get it back like it was. When you assemble the end caps, make sure you spin it to ascertain that you did not inadvertantly position a wire that is in contact with the cent. switch.

good luck

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Oops, you're right. My fault--I saw bearings and didn't differentiate in my mind between "motor" and "arbor."

Reply to
LRod

Reply to
wayne mak

Reply to
Pat Barber

I got mine from MSC industrial supply. About $12 for the set of two. They were made in the orient, however, for 3450 RPM I think that is ok. I don't think I would ever put a chinese bearing in a shaper spindle cartridge. You can pay more for domestics if you like.

I miked mine and found the correct size and seal in the catalog but if you live in a town with an industrial supply house, you can take the old ones in and have them cross matched by the numbers on the bearings. I suspect that will cost less than going directly to a Marathon Electric repair shop. I'm assuming your motor is a Marathon, based on the age you stated.

If you get stuck in the middle of it, email me, I'll try to help you out.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

I off to get my bifocals changed... UNISAW Motor bearing.

Reply to
Pat Barber

Try this web site ,it should give you all the info needed....mjh

mike hide

try this web site it has all the info....mjh

mike hide