Resawing on the band saw

Have you contacted Griz? Their support is very good IMO.

I've had zero problems with my G0555 with riser block.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Yep, they mentioned it could be worn out tires. I haven't used the saw that much, but I upgraded to polyurethane tires anyway. I haven't had a chance to really work with the saw since then.

They said I could remove the alignment pin from the riser, but I was concerned it would be difficult to get things aligned and keep it there without the pin.

Then also said I could shim one side of the riser, but I was concerned that might tilt the upper half at a weird angle.

I still might give those ideas a try when I get the chance, just to see what effect it has.

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

i bet you may have already considered that you got a lemon it can happen

if the saw structure wasn't properly aged and stress-relieved it could have a permanent warp so obviously no amount of shimming or adjusting will keep it aligned

i have a delta and the "C" is two-piece casting i don't know about your saw but it's possible if it has big castings that they were not aged or stress-relieved enough or incorrectly

some manufacturers have been known to rush things out the door and they don't get the attention they need

maybe if yours it two piece you can adjust it where they meet

when i got my used delta it was still new but had been left outside for a bit

the previous owner made some cosmetic modifications to it but i spent some time getting it to cut straight and it is good enough

but i do not do any resawing

Reply to
Electric Comet

Are you familiar with Carter Products?

They have been around forever and started out by producing better BS wheels. They have some very innovative bandsaw products, however, that isn't the point. Check out this video. It is by a Carter Rep., but he is not trying to sell anything - just telling/showing how he sets up a BS.

You might want to put your saw back to "stock" and try his method.

Jerry O.

Reply to
Jerry Osage

The key word there is a well dried beam. Your log might be wet in spots.

Reply to
Leon

Did you ever resolve the tracking problem that had plagued your saw for 7 years?

If not, your success resawing green logs will be marginal at best.

Reply to
Spalted Walt

Hmm... That's funny. I didn't remember complaining about the same problem last year. But to answer your question, nope, still having issues getting it setup correctly.

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

Leon,

The bowing problem occurs with wood that has been drying for 50+ years as well as fresh green logs. So I don't think it is an issue with the material I am cutting.

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

you will have to get it setup now because of you try to sell it the buyer will go looking for answers on how to adjust it and find all your posts

i agree with going back to stock setup and proceed from there making only small changes then test and repeat if needed

Reply to
Electric Comet

I'm not familiar with the setup, but couldn't you remove the pin, get everything lined up, clamp it there, and drill a new hole through the riser and what it sits on?

After getting that all tightened up, I'd be tempted to enlarge the original holes to where they lined up for a larger size bolt and fasten it together there as well.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

HerHusband wrote in news:XnsA4924F9AA543Aherhusband@213.239.209.88:

Don't worry about the pin. If your Grizzly is like my Jet (many are--I used a Powermatic riser kit), the pin is just an alignment guide. If it's causing problems, remove it. The big bolt that holds both pieces together will hold things together just fine.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Have you tried a brand new blade?

Reply to
Leon

Be sure to verify that both ends of the riser block are parallel to each other and square to the blocks axis.

-BR

Brewster

Just a follow-up to my earlier post...

I dismantled the G0555 band saw and drilled out the holes for the alignment pins. I think the original holes were 1/4", I oversized them to

3/8". This gave me a tiny bit of play to adjust the upper half of the frame.

I put the saw back together and tightened the blade. Both wheels are coplaner and the blade tracks in the center of both wheels.

I still needed the shims behind the lower wheel, so shifting the upper half slightly didn't make a lot of difference.

Anyway, I adjusted the fence for the blade drift and resawed a couple of small 2x8 boards with no difficulties. Nice and flat, no bowing in the middle. So for now, with the current blade, the saw seems to be working as it should.

Thanks,

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

Thanks for the followup. I did the same to my delta years ago, when I told a group on lumberjocks that I received a ton of flack telling me that doesn't work, and is necessary. Amazing that people will tell you that it can't solve your problem even though it did.

Reply to
woodchucker

I've run into that kind of thing numerous times... it's annoying!

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

now you can sell it with integrity and principles intact

Reply to
Electric Comet

While I would like to upgrade to a better saw, it's not in my budget right now. Besides, even I were to sell it I would let the buyer know any issues I have had with it.

Anthony Watson

HerHusband