Resawing?

Page 2 of 2
GROOVY!!!!!!!!!!!
--
"Cartoons don't have any deep meaning.
Leslie Gossett asks:

Not really. It applies to a specific action. It may seem vague and ambiguous to someone who doesn't know that specific action or the reasons for it, but it is quite specific. Resawing does not mean crosscutting or ripping for the second, third or 58th time. It means cutting wood on the face grain to produce thinner sections of wood. Period, or at least so far as I know. I've never heard or seen another explanation for it.

Why? Seems to me resawing, which I was doing earlier today to a piece of chinaberry wood, is perfectly descriptive.

But it doesn't mean that, as you found out. It is specific. It is useful
.>hen I found out what it refers to, I thought it was pretty

As far as I know. Why do you feel it's silly? Because you started out not knowing what it means? Does that mean the phrase "Platonic Dialogues" is pretty silly because I began my Platonic readings without knowing what they are?
Charlie Self "Take care of the luxuries and the necessities will take care of themselves." Dorothy Parker
"Leslie Gossett" wrote in message

May be more one's frame of reference. The term is that descriptive of the operation as to be instantly recognizable as soon as you realize the necessity.
I first heard the term in a shop class as a kid ... in answer to my remark about what a waste it was to plane down a board to the desired thickness ... the very second the word itself was uttered by the shop teacher it was instantly understood.
Resawing is not necesssarily relegated to the bandsaw. It is was once commonly done by hand, often using a bowsaw, which was my first experience with it, and can also be accomplishedl, with size limitations, on the table saw.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/12/04
Tom Martinello wrote:

<*sigh*> Nothing like a simple question to trigger name-calling and generally bring out the worst in people.
Sorry you got this additional trash in your answer.
--
gabriel

Holy toledo! I guess I need to learn how to designate the "tone" of my responses better.
As Swingman correctly interpreted in one of his responses, I meant the question rhetorically to sort of poise the OP into trying to visualize what it could mean. Whoever took offense, oh well.
Tom: as you see I did try to answer your question, hopefully it made some sense to you. This was one thread of crap I didn't see coming and definitely didn't mean to instigate.
Mike

"Mike in Mystic" wrote in message

It was not your fault, Mike ... and I hereby apologize for my part in it, particularly to gabriel.
Twas no excuse that I been sitting here all damn morning waiting on a delivery of redwood for a commissioned piece ... idle hands bring on the devil's mischief.
... and it just showed up. Back to work!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/12/04