Removing scratches from polished wood

I have a fairly expensive dining room table with a highly polished surface, polished almost to what I might called a "mirrored finish". Over time I have notice some very faint hair line scratches in the surface. Is there any way to restore the surface to a scratch-free finish? Remember, it's polished almost to a mirror condition.
Nicsand makes 3,000, 5,000, and 10,000 grit polish. I've got only the 3 and 5, but the instructions mention 10k for "mirror" finishes. You'll need a buffer, too.
David
snipped-for-privacy@houston.rr.com wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@houston.rr.com wrote:

I'd try polishing out the scratches starting with with the finest abrasive I could find.
Here's a link to some polishes and glazing compounds:
http://www.properautocare.com/polish.html
Wax.
You only need very little and buff the heck out of it. It fills the scrathes. Hard to try this out on a inconspicious spot, but if you can it would be best of course. You'de be amazed of the size of scratches wax can hide. Use good Birwax or some other real stuff. Follow the directions.

This is safe to try:
http://www.vandykes.com/product/02006063 /
Tibet Almond Stick has been around for ever because it works good. Should you attempt to use an abrasive polish on your table top, it will be easy to screw it up and have to completely refinish the table.
--

Roger Shoaf

snipped-for-privacy@houston.rr.com wrote in

I'd try buffing it out with regular furniture paste wax. If that doesn't work, you may want to try one of the mild automotive polishes. I've had good luck with Meguiar's brand to make a mirror finish on polished shellac. Try the Cleaner Wax product -- wax with a very fine abrasive. Only if the scratches are very severe, you could try a more aggressive product (such as their ScratchX product), followed by the Cleaner Wax.