Removable Fasteners

Page 2 of 2
Greg Esres wrote:
> Hmmm...I haven't given much thought to the weight. I have no idea how > much a sheet of glass this size would weigh. Seems like 1/4" would be > strong enough not to break easily, though. Surely the thickness of a > sliding glass door is about that.
For an unsupported piece of glass that large, 1/4" is not very strong.
I have some 34"x57" pieces of 1/2" laminated safety glass that are composed of 1/4" sheets with a layer of plastic in the middle I'm saving for a job.
Trust me, they are very heavy, as is a sliding patio door.
If you need to get out of the house thru that window, in case of a fire, you will need a simple tool.
It called a BRICK.
The bigger the better.
A matter of seconds may mean the difference between life and death.
If this project is for sound deadening only, consider smaller unsupported panels, as well as considering some type of plastic rather than glass.
Lew
Add pictures here
βœ–
woodworkers supply has some hardware that might suit you. Similar hardware is of course available from other vendors as well.
<http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/CATALOG.exe?CATDEFAULT "5&CATPAGE6> <http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/CATALOG.exe?CATDEFAULT "5&CATPAGE7>
Greg Esres wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
Russ wrote: <http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/CATALOG.exe ? CATDEFAULT"5&CATPAGE6>

Some of that stuff may work...I'll have to study it to see exactly what it does.
Thank you!
Add pictures here
βœ–
Might want to have a look at these. I used them on a saddle rack for my mom. Three arms 24" stick out from the main body and hold saddles about 50-75# each. Needless to say I have no complaints. Saddlerack is about two years old. Watch the wordwrap. If the link don't work go to lee valley and search for tension rod nuts. Good Luck Lyndell
You may need a really long drill bit for some applications. :-)
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=1&pH331&cat=3,41306,52493

Add pictures here
βœ–
Tue, Jun 5, 2007, 1:23pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@boundvortex.com (Greg Esres) doth posteth: <snip> I'm thinking wing-nut sort of thing, but more attractive. <snip>
A pretty wng nut?
βœ–
Greg Esres wrote: | I want to fasten one square wood frame to another in a fashion that | can be easily removed. I'm thinking wing-nut sort of thing, but | more attractive. Only one side of the piece will be accessible | while attaching the frame. | | Can someone offer a suggestion as to what to Google on?
Try 'aircraft fasteners' (without quotes). There exists quite a variety of quarter-turn and push-to-open fasteners used in aircraft to provide easy removal, secure fastening, etc.
To get you started, I found http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/ha/fasteners.html with some low-cost options...
βœ–
On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 13:23:41 -0700, Greg Esres

Knobs. But I have just a vague idea of your application.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Greg Esres wrote:

Wood screw.
Add pictures here
βœ–
HeyBub wrote:

That'll return more than a few interesting hits!
Add pictures here
βœ–
fasten one square wood frame to another
If you can inset the 3 x 5 glass-bearing frame into the other, would BULLET fasteners work for you? I am thinking eight of them would allow the two frames to maintain registry and absent freakish ind event "togetherness" too. By cutting finger grooves on the inside of the removable frame, you should be able to pull it out easily. Note, this approach would also work well with the magnetic suggestions - those RE guys are strong - bet four 1/2" guys would do it. If you fasten the "keepers" they sell for them a bit loose, the fit can be a bit "sloppy" (easier to move in and out) and still do the trick.
Note, insetting the 3 x 5 frame inot the other is key here. The considerable weight of 15 square feet of 1/4 glass might defeat the magnets alone. Butthe ability of the existing frame bottom to bear the weight would allow them to hold the thing flush to the inside frame.
If I should have read lore before responding to discover [more details about] your application, forgive me.

Add pictures here
βœ–