Red Fox Pub carving.

Section of sign machined with cnc. The fox is HDU and the letters are 1/2" Corian with Gorilla glue laid on top for that 'nugget' effect.

whole thing is coated in UV resistant FrogJuice.

Reply to
Robatoy

That's great! Well done. Sadly, decent pub signs seem to be a dying thing over here. Good to see that they are alive & kicking elsewhere.

Reply to
David Paste

Tres cool :)

Reply to
dadiOH

Excellent!

Reply to
Swingman

Why dincha do that with the router, Toy? Toss a texture on the text.

Tres chic.

-- "I probably became a libertarian through exposure to tough-minded professors" James Buchanan, Armen Alchian, Milton Friedman "who encouraged me to think with my brain instead of my heart. I learned that you have to evaluate the effects of public policy as opposed to intentions." -- Walter E. Williams

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Very good question. One that I have given a lot of thought. I have done it both ways and come away with the conclusion that the Gorilla Glue method is far more efficient and shifts that operation away from my router to the painter/sign-guy... and no sanding away machine marks. When I cut the letters, I just follow the outline vector and I'm done in 20 minutes freeing up the cnc for other things. If I do the textured letters, the cutting time turns into multiple pass/high detail/totally different type of file... figure an hour per square foot. Now. if I were to do a set of letters on a textured background, an 'all-in-one' situation, I would texture the letters as it wouldn't add any time to the operation. I guess you could call it parts vs arts. The last sign I did, I ordered the fat, rounded, bulbous letters from a catalogue. Injected moulded plastic. I have the ability to make such shaped letters, but there is no way that it is cost effective... regardless of the router's prowess. I'd rather use the savings to buy more Festool. *smirk*

Reply to
Angela Sekeris

I have to agree with Angela...LOL

(She sometimes doesn't log out, and I am soooo involved with my coffee in the morning that I forget to check... idiot that I am..)

Reply to
Robatoy

"Robatoy" wrote

I was going to say that it must be nice to have two CNC operators in the same family, Then I realized that it was Angela, a medical professional, talking about efficient cnc operations. I got concerned. cnc, medical services, it sounded like a script to a horror movie.

I made a note to myself to never seek medical services near an operating cnc router.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Flashing on

So far CNC surgery has not been depicted however I suspect that that is because it hasn't occurred to the authors yet.

Note that progress in developing CNC autonomous surgeons is proceeding apace--so far none has been turned loose on a human but they're getting there.

Reply to
J. Clarke

If Microsoft created the autonomous surgeon's operating system, I think I'll stick with human error.

I would imagine that simple surgeries would be possible with CNC, where everything could be imaged and planned out ahead of time, but more complex surgery is like remodeling - you won't know exactly what's in there until you open things up. That's why this sort of thing makes more sense for more complex stuff:

RicodJour

Nifty. I can imagine whole hordes of paying, puking customers under that sign. ;)

Did you work up the fox from scratch, or did you start with some sort of CNC clipart? How much time did you spend computer modeling?

RicodJour

I suspect there won't be an answer forthcoming there, trade secrets, and all. That way he can charge 8 hours of setup and two hours of CNC time. :-) He could have done it in four hours with a sharp chisel or six.

Sorry Rob, had to do it.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

"RicodJour" wrote

-------------------- This is Canada.

They got the fox drunk and he held still while they digitally scanned him.. That is why the carving is so life like.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Oh. I didn't know that. That sounds almost humane. It had crossed my mind that he might have found fox roadkill and sprayed him with some urethane for that "nugget" effect. Since the sign is probably ten feet off the ground by the front door, the smell that would eventually leak out would hasten people coming inside and hasten people leaving - both good things. ;)

RicodJour

Mmmm... no pricing...

Reply to
Robatoy

3D 'models' like the fox are readily available. Most of my output, is stuff I model myself, especially when it comes to textures and back- grounds. I steal and convert stuff all the time. A lot of the 'sculpting' is done in Photoshop as my modelling software can take 16- bit grayscale and assign Z parameters from them. White is high, black is low and 256,000 levels of height in between. So when you throw Photoshop tools like airbrushes, smudge tools etc. into the mix, gradients, brightness and contrast controls, well, you get the picture. Distortion filters can be a hoot too. But, as always, less is more. That fox was a grayscale which I manipulated. The software I use can import many different 3D files, some as meshes. The importing of Adobe PDF (vector based) files is flawless. I handle all my type in Illustrator, my objects in Vectorworks (sometimes via Strata).... I make no apologies for having way too damned much fun.
Reply to
Robatoy

Is Gorilla glue the type which foams up? I bought some once but it hardened on me before I even opened it. I found it under a cloth on a low shelf a couple years later.

Ayup.

Whatever the signmaker and client agree on, eh?

Yeah, yeah, yeah... You are today where your thoughts have brought you; you will be tomorrow where your thoughts take you. -- James Lane Allen

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Egad, a Molsen and Black Velvet fox? What's this world coming to? You are today where your thoughts have brought you; you will be tomorrow where your thoughts take you. -- James Lane Allen

Reply to
Larry Jaques

This is absolutely, positively, without a doubt one of those "If you have to ask, you can't afford it..." scenarios. Even moreso than Festool, if you can believe that.

-- You are today where your thoughts have brought you; you will be tomorrow where your thoughts take you. -- James Lane Allen

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Its just an animal. I expect to see a portrait of some old comedian.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski