Red Fox Pub carving.

Page 1 of 2
Section of sign machined with cnc. The fox is HDU and the letters are 1/2" Corian with Gorilla glue laid on top for that 'nugget' effect.
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/Foxdetail.jpg The whole thing is coated in UV resistant FrogJuice.

That's great! Well done. Sadly, decent pub signs seem to be a dying thing over here. Good to see that they are alive & kicking elsewhere.
Robatoy wrote:

Tres cool :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 3/20/2011 3:52 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Excellent!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Why dincha do that with the router, Toy? Toss a texture on the text.

Tres chic.
-- "I probably became a libertarian through exposure to tough-minded professors" James Buchanan, Armen Alchian, Milton Friedman "who encouraged me to think with my brain instead of my heart. I learned that you have to evaluate the effects of public policy as opposed to intentions." -- Walter E. Williams

Very good question. One that I have given a lot of thought. I have done it both ways and come away with the conclusion that the Gorilla Glue method is far more efficient and shifts that operation away from my router to the painter/sign-guy... and no sanding away machine marks. When I cut the letters, I just follow the outline vector and I'm done in 20 minutes freeing up the cnc for other things. If I do the textured letters, the cutting time turns into multiple pass/high detail/totally different type of file... figure an hour per square foot. Now. if I were to do a set of letters on a textured background, an 'all-in-one' situation, I would texture the letters as it wouldn't add any time to the operation. I guess you could call it parts vs arts. The last sign I did, I ordered the fat, rounded, bulbous letters from a catalogue. Injected moulded plastic. I have the ability to make such shaped letters, but there is no way that it is cost effective... regardless of the router's prowess. I'd rather use the savings to buy more Festool. *smirk*

I have to agree with Angela...LOL
(She sometimes doesn't log out, and I am soooo involved with my coffee in the morning that I forget to check... idiot that I am..)

I was going to say that it must be nice to have two CNC operators in the same family, Then I realized that it was Angela, a medical professional, talking about efficient cnc operations. I got concerned. cnc, medical services, it sounded like a script to a horror movie.
I made a note to myself to never seek medical services near an operating cnc router.
Michaels" says...

Flashing on <http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php
So far CNC surgery has not been depicted however I suspect that that is because it hasn't occurred to the authors yet.

Note that progress in developing CNC autonomous surgeons is proceeding apace--so far none has been turned loose on a human but they're getting there.

If Microsoft created the autonomous surgeon's operating system, I think I'll stick with human error.
I would imagine that simple surgeries would be possible with CNC, where everything could be imaged and planned out ahead of time, but more complex surgery is like remodeling - you won't know exactly what's in there until you open things up. That's why this sort of thing makes more sense for more complex stuff: http://www.davincisurgery.com/davinci-surgery/davinci-surgical-system /

Mmmm... no pricing...
On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 14:17:04 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

This is absolutely, positively, without a doubt one of those "If you have to ask, you can't afford it..." scenarios. Even moreso than Festool, if you can believe that. <smirk>
-- You are today where your thoughts have brought you; you will be tomorrow where your thoughts take you. -- James Lane Allen
"Larry Jaques" wrote:

--------------------------------- Eliminates the plebian negotiations part of the process.
Lew

You just think you're kidding.
A local hospital, affiliated with a major University, is *advertising* that they do 'robotic and laser guided' surgery.
On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 13:13:32 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

AIUI, it's now quite common for prostate surgery.
On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 06:03:41 -0700 (PDT), Angela Sekeris

Is Gorilla glue the type which foams up? I bought some once but it hardened on me before I even opened it. I found it under a cloth on a low shelf a couple years later.

Ayup.
Whatever the signmaker and client agree on, eh?

Yeah, yeah, yeah... You are today where your thoughts have brought you; you will be tomorrow where your thoughts take you. -- James Lane Allen

Its just an animal. I expect to see a portrait of some old comedian.
On 3/22/11 10:47 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

C-Less is opening a pub?
--
Froz...

On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 22:53:49 -0400, FrozenNorth

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo! Me ex-ProfessionalDrunk. Me no do dat.
-- You are today where your thoughts have brought you; you will be tomorrow where your thoughts take you. -- James Lane Allen

Nobody's suggest you CLOSE the pub, C-less...