Red Fox Pub carving.

C-Less is opening a pub?

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo! Me ex-ProfessionalDrunk. Me no do dat.

-- You are today where your thoughts have brought you; you will be tomorrow where your thoughts take you. -- James Lane Allen

Reply to
Larry Jaques

--------------------------------- Eliminates the plebian negotiations part of the process.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

The Bow Saur & Flagon!

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Nobody's suggest you CLOSE the pub, C-less...

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Bwahahahahahaha! Two points, Baldy!

-- You are today where your thoughts have brought you; you will be tomorrow where your thoughts take you. -- James Lane Allen

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You just think you're kidding.

A local hospital, affiliated with a major University, is *advertising* that they do 'robotic and laser guided' surgery.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

"... but the Vessel with the Pestle has the brew that is true'

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

AIUI, it's now quite common for prostate surgery.

Reply to
krw

I thought it was the Flaggon with the Dragon. ...or was that the Challice from the Pallace?

Reply to
krw

Originally, it was the Flagon, but it got broken, and the Vessel was used to replace it.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

What's this about a Mortar and Pestilence?

-- You are today where your thoughts have brought you; you will be tomorrow where your thoughts take you. -- James Lane Allen

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I still don't know about this stuff.

I can see it's probably fun to get a digital model and have a machine carve it for you, but I still think there is something tragic about an economy in which craft skills and artistry have been so undervalued that they have totally disappeared. A pub sign of all things could celebrate an artisan's ability. Can't anybody carve a fox any more?

Tim W

Reply to
Tim W

I agree with the irony, but...

I'm sure he could have found someone to do it, but then -he- wouldn't have made the money on it. Why sublet what you can do yourself with your machine, which you're not quite done paying for?

-- Most people assume the fights are going to be the right versus the left, but it always is the reasonable versus the jerks. -- Jimmy Wales

Reply to
Larry Jaques

In overall numbers I'd bet there are more people hand carving today than ever before. Population growth worldwide has been doing okay for itself.

I was at the Northeastern Woodworkers Association's 20th Annual Fine Woodworking Show in Saratoga this past weekend and Epilog Laser had a booth set up. The carving that the laser could do was stunning - the detail would be almost possible for anything with a pulse, and the time to hand carve it would be far too long to make it a profit making possibility.

The Aztec calendar took about half an hour to cut. Quite impressive. But it did lack something.

Precise is not always synonymous with quality and appeal. For instance, there was the 1/x version of the Epilog walking around at the show and giving talks and demonstrations - Peter Follansbee. I was far more impressed with Follansbee's work than the Epilog. Since you like handwork, as I do, I think you'll like this:

The blanket chest in that video, about 50 seconds in, has three carved front panels and takes him about three of four hours to carve...for all three. And he uses about a dozen tools to do it.

Roba - not sure if Epilog's files will work with your CNC setup, but it might be worth taking a look at their downloadable files. Maybe there's something in there you could use/cannibalize.

RicodJour

A Mayan calender I cut. Less than an hour.

Robatoy

tongue out at you doesn't bode well for the coming year. ;)

Nice work. That looks to be, what?, 16" in diameter? The one I posted, and the stuff I saw at the woodworking show was maybe 3" in diameter, and the medallions they had at the show were as fine as an engraving. Even dentists don't have bits that small (exaggeration, but not by much). Was that calendar a paid project or were you just playing around? I think that's one of the dangers of things like a CNC router or laser - it's like a computer. You're supposed to be doing work on it, but it's ever so much more fun to play around with it.

RicodJour