Reconditioned Tools

Page 2 of 2
On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 13:11:03 -0400, Thomas Mitchell

A couple of years ago I bought a reconditioned air compressor at the Borg. It had a couple little rust spots on the handle loop, a bit of scratching on the paint and one of the quick connects was missing (necessary to use). I paid about $200 for a $350 compressor and it came with a 3 year (same as new) warranty. The guy in the drool, er, *tool* department told me that they had very few of those compressors come back, what he suspected was that someone had purchased it for a specific job. Used it for the duration of the job then brought it back for a refund. Told me it happens that way all the time. According to him the vast majority of "remanufactured" tools are on the market because people are just trying to rip off the Borgs. His claim was that usually he could take a tool that had been returned as "defective" and turn it on and use it right away, with no adjustment, checking or anything. They send them back to an authorized reman center where they get checked and then sent back to a Borg for resale.
I buy remanufactured when possible because it is usually a heck of a deal. I'm not hung up on having new tools, I just want the most tools for the least money.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
    Greetings and Salutations....
On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 13:11:03 -0400, Thomas Mitchell

    let me throw in my $0.02 here too, and, say that I can recommend remanufactured tools from name brands without reservation. I have picked up a number of them over the years, and, have had great luck with them. I have a 12v Dewalt cordless that is probably 10 years old, purchased as remanufactured from Harbor Freight, that is still going strong. I have had to put new batteries to it, of course, but, it is in good shape still. Hum...now that I think of it, I do recall that I had to adjust the clutch mech. myself when it came in, as it was out of spec enough that it would not engage. However, that was REALLY easy to do. All I had to do was unscrew the chuck, pull the clutch out enough to disengage it, and rotate it a bit. Took about five minutes, and, considering that we got about a 60% or so discount on it, it was worth it.     Regards     Dave Mundt