Recommendation for woodworking design/sketching software?

Hi,
I'm a newbie here, so please bear with me if this has been asked a million times.
What's a good piece of software for creating a 3D sketch of a windowsill shelf and brace unit I plan on building. I'd like to be able to do an exploded parts view with labels also.
Something like AutoCAD is way overkill and too time consuming to learn. Anything geared for this kind of use out there?
Thanks
Add pictures here
✖

Since you're on a PC, try going to www.versiontracker.com and click on the "Windows" tab in upper left.
There you can search for CAD software that might fit your requirements.
You might also look in the back of some of the woodworking magazines where the vendors of such software might have an ad.
--
Regards,
JP
damian penney wrote:

Add pictures here
✖

AutoSketch http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID 3112&id˜3085
It does not do everything AutoCAD does but its easy to learn, accurate and affordable.
Dave
Add pictures here
✖
proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:
I am just trialling DesignCad 3D. As with most 3d Packages, it's a lot harder to pick up than a 2d package (for which I use Deltacad, which is very easy to learn). I am finding this to be not too bad. It has locked up on me a couple of times, though! :-<
It has some strange ideas about mouse-keyboard interaction....
Trouble is it's only a 15-day trial. My test of a usable casual drawing package is to come back in two weeks or so and see how much I struggle to pick it up, just to get another drawing going. DeltaCad is so easy you just sit down and sketch with it. But as I said, 2D.

Add pictures here
✖
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'll check out the various options mentioned.
Add pictures here
✖
proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

If you try DesignCad, let me know what you tnink. I relly am of two minds about it. I can't be sure whether some of the "stuff" that has happened is it or me.
Add pictures here
✖
proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:
Comment #1 re DesignCad.
It's as easy as I have tried in 3d. I drew a simple shelf and support unit, and it was _almost_ worth it! <G> But then I am learning.
But it has a peculiar way of making 2D drawing mode into a side view. So you draw, say a house floor plan and extrude it to "build" the house, and suddenly the Top View looks at the side of the house etc.

Add pictures here
✖
proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:
Well, the more I use DesignCad, the more I like it. I have drawn a shelf and supports and a set of shelves with hidden dadoes for the shelves, and tongues to fit on the shelves themselves. These are simple enough drawings to learn with, and also to see if a "simple" drawing does not become a fight. I have drawn, copied, pasted moved etc etc. Once you are "in the groove", it seesm quite good.
I have not tried Turbo Cad again. My main beef IIRC was selecting stuff, and the screens' indication of what had been selected.
BTW, DCad is now owned by IMSI, who make Turbo Cad! Gaah! You will find that there is a site by UpperSpace, as well as IMSI. They used to own it, continue to sell it, and the forum is good for help. They agreed that 15 days was not long enough, but it's IMSI's standard. The _forum_ suggested ai simply use the trial, then buy and return within 30 days if I am not happy! <G>.

Add pictures here
✖