Woodworking software

I was browsing the web for woodworking software and found CutList Plus on

tried the trial version and it looks very easy to learn even though I'm not too confortable with computers. Anybody here has experience with this program? Is it worth it for an advanced hobbyist?

Looks like a decent product to me for the price vs. functionnalities.

Thanks for any advices.

Wally

Reply to
Wally

Have used CutListPlus for a couple of years and find it easy to use, understand, and easy to modify. I am a hobbyist, so cannot comment on commercial usefuleness, but for home, it is very good

Chris

Reply to
Chris Carruth

Reply to
JGS

I used to make up sheets with a "ruler" along top and side and a box scaled to the rulers to represent a 4x8 sheet. I could use that to layout plywood cuts through trial and error.

CutList Plus is just *WAAAAAAY* better :) (good for lumber too).

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

It paid for itself on my first use. I do quasi commercial work (side business). I find it is much better for sheet stock applications but I use it almost exclusively for lumber based projects. It's not quite as well built for that but I can always get it to do what I want with a little fudging.

It can be a bit of a pain to enter all the various stock sizes. However, I use it mostly when I am buying dimensioned lumber, such as Pine 1x8's, 10's and 12's. Thankfully these usually come in consistent lengths too.

I have found that rather than just entering a wood type of "Pine" and entering all the various widths under one heading, then, letting the software completly decide where to put the pieces; I put in Pine8, Pine10, etc. Then I can assign which pieces I want cut from which widths. Because sometimes it cuts a bunch of 2" wide pieces from 12" wide boards when I have 8's or 6's that I would rather use for those parts.

Finally, I like to set it up for cross cuts first. I sometimes get 16' boards and don't want to rip a 16' board. Since the program is more for Plywood it almost always wants to do rips first, even when I set the settinngs for cross cuts. However, I can usually get it to obey by selecting the individual boards after it's done laying it all out and reset the the settings to get it to re-layout any boards that aren't cross cut first.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

I actually think Cutlist Plus is a good product, but does this look like spam to anyone but me?

A first time poster, posting from Montreal, Canada (so is CL+), that's not good with computers, but he found usenet and uses _Free Agent_ (not a reader included with a browser), but he actually knows to munge an email address for Usenet?

Maybe I'm just a little too bored today...

Reply to
B a r r y

From an earlier post

Try:

The last freeware version of cutlist (v 2.1.3). Download the zipped file near the bottom of the page.

HTH Bill

Reply to
Tom Banes

Good catch! I guess Wally forgot that back in June he posted:

snipped-for-privacy@nfoe.com&rnum=5#8e5a9ce45c1973b0

Reply to
TomL