Re: Worm Holes In Old Oak

I think I'd heat the wood in the microwave for a while. Keep the

> power level low and the cook times long. Don't let the wood get > too hot to touch. Ain't no critter around that can survive in a > microwave oven.

Something about that idea just doesn't sit well with me. Wood does contain some moisture and what would be the effect of a microwave? I have no idea but it sure might be wise to put in a test piece first.

Reply to
Joe Barta
[...]

The wood considered here contains not very much moisture (probably, otherwise making anything out of it will be more difficult), so it would be well to provide a dummy load for the oven, i.e. put in a glass of cold water. Anyway the wood might end up drier than before.

Reply to
Juergen Hannappel

Microwaving is an accepted way of drying wood. Some turners make green bowls and then dry them in the microwave. I understand there are even some microwave kilns, but I can't swear to it. Microwaving will heat the wood up for sure. Just keep the power level low so that the moisture can escape the surface as fast as it is driven off. Sure, try a test piece first to get an idea of how fast it warms up. And I should have said "Don't let it get too hot to hold", not "too hot to touch".

DonkeyHody ""We should be careful to get out of an experience only the wisdom that is in it - and stop there; lest we be like the cat that sits down on a hot stove-lid. She will never sit down on a hot stove-lid again---and that is well; but also she will never sit down on a cold one anymore." - Mark Twain

Reply to
DonkeyHody

What exactly is that? Can you be more specific or offer a brand/color?

Reply to
Joe Barta

I did brief search on Google and found that freezing is a very widespread and effective method of insect control. It's used to kill insects in old books, antiques and various other materials. It seems to work on many different insects.

I've seen mention of "rapid" freezing and freeze/thaw cycles. It would seem it's the deep and rapid freezing that kills the insects. Apparently a slow freezing is less effective... which might explain your observations.

The same articles did mention that heat will kill faster... but of course is more problematic.

Reply to
Joe Barta

yes there are some for glass and ceramics, although they haven't been sold nor seen in years, except on ebay when someone's cleaning out aunt matilda's house after the funeral.

here's a link to one for drying wood:

Charles Spitzer