Re: What is it? LXXXIII

#497 is an old blow torch.
505 appears to be part of one of those old hand exercizer devices-- i.e., the grip enhancers.
506 is a wire crimper, isn't it? It looks like something I've seen phone technicians use.
502 looks like part of a mop attachment, which means it's probably part of a car engine :)
503 is one of Tom Delay's favorite toys. He's been looking all over for it and without it, no one listens to him any longer.
504 is an ear grabber extender. It's for elderly women who want to grab you by the ear but don't feel like getting up. It's got a button on the other side which extends it by three feet.
506 is an early (rejected) prototype for the soup ladle.
502 is used to split the jacket on romex type electrical cable. Used to be called a "cable ripper" not sure if that is still so.
503 is a screw in step for climbing into tree stands and such.
504 I know I've seen one of those in a catalog or someplace, but drawing a blank!
505 is the spring from one of those hand grip excerciser things.
506 is a wire stripper. The cutter jaws are spring loaded and self-adjusting for the size of wire.
507 is some sort of old wood workers scooper-outer tool. I imagine it is for some specific task, but I don't know what!

This answer is correct. Originally posted to only r.c.m., so the other two groups didn't see this post.
Rob

http://www.mot.be/cgi-bin/ID-DOC.cgi?language=nl&mode=I&data 001045%3C-%3E830192lw.jpg%3C-%3E830192.jpg%3C-%3Ehandhaak%20voor%20zakken%3C-%3E???%3C-%3E???
The link should work if you copy and paste it, including the question marks at the end.
Rob
On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 01:21:21 +0000, R.H. wrote:

Has anyone bothered to mention how much we appreciate your doing all of the work it must take to keep that website up for our edification and entertainment?
:-)
Thanks! Rich

Thanks, it's good to get some positive feedback once in a while. Also thanks for posting the question to the electronics group.
-----
I haven't asked for submissions for a few months, so if anyone has a mystery item or something unusual that you think others might be interested to see, please send me some photos for possible use on the web site.
Rob

Seconded -- enthusiastically! These "What is it?" posts are a lot of fun.

the
larger
Great idea on the compound word translation, thanks for helping solve this one.
Rob

I'm not speaking Dutch, but words are quite undestandable (for Krauts), also if you know the context. "zakgoed" means sacked goods (Sackgut in German). Goods that are packed in sacks.
Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de

I have to second Jason's clarification that: "sack being a large oblong bag made from coarse flax, jute or hemp cloth, (the English definition of sack not the US definition which includes paper etc..)"
I wasn't aware of that.
Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
There is sack and there is bag. Sack to me was cloth and bag was paper. Flour sack and lunch bag.
Nick Mller wrote:

-
On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 20:46:32 -0600, Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

I'm in the US, and "sack" and "bag" are practically interchangeable, except nobody ever gets tired and gets sacks under their eyes. ;-)
Cheers! RIch

East coast..sack is often paper bag..western states in many places..sack is cloth bag.
Least in my somewhat varied experience.
Gunner
"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed, the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line of defense." --Walter Williams
Gunner wrote:

In SE US, before the Yankees moved in, it was a "tote"...
On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 16:45:16 +0000, Gunner wrote:

I once worked in the coin room at a bank, and they called the cloth sacks bags. ;-) This was in Memphis, TN, where they even used "y'all" to mean one person - the boss asked me one day, "Do y'all want to go to lunch?" I thought that was kinda cute - I was raised in Minnesota, where we have our own peculiar twang. ;-) I had mine spotted on the phone not too long ago. ;-)
Cheers! Rich

Correct, it's called a turpentine hacker or turpentine scorer, here is the link that I put on the answer page for this one, scroll to the bottom of it:
http://www.80acres.com/History_and_Maps/history_and_maps.htm
Rob