Blow torch servicing

Hi All,

I bought a blow torch at the local car boot sale and I can't seem to get it to work. Not sure if it is me, it or combination of both. It looks like it is one of these (a Primus PowerJet 3469)

As far as I can make out, you press the big button at the front and it should release the gas and light the flame. When I press it nothing seems to happen. There is gas in the cylinder but nothing seems to come out also no clicking type sound to indicate it was trying to light it. Anyone any idea how to service these things?

I am assuming the piezo thing (or whatever causes the spark) is not operating - is this fixable? If not, is there a way of lighting it with an external flame? My old one is a simple turn the knob, gas comes out and you light it with a lighter. This seems much more complex :)

thanks

Lee.

Reply to
Lee Nowell

Both of mine (not the same make) have a screw down valve with a knob that you have to open before the 'press the trigger to light it' works.

Is that red knob I can see at the 'top' of your picture from eBay the valve you have to open?

Reply to
Chris Green

Yes that top red valve turns and assume adjusts flame. One of the instructions from a similar one seemed to suggest that it adjusts the flame when on but may not be the shut off / on. On mine when I open the balance using that top red knob nothing comes out of the nozzle.

Reply to
Lee Nowell

You need to turn the knob *and* press the trigger on mine. Then when it has lit you can use the knob to adjust the flame.

On mine if the knob/valve is open and you press the trigger gently (i.e. not as far as the click) you can hear a hiss of gas coming out.

Reply to
Chris Green

Lee, do you have a prick? Sorry, I mean a pricker. And, have you pricked it?

Reply to
GB

Chris Green was thinking very hard :

Same with my blowlamp, not that make. Squeezing the trigger, should produce a definite click and the click fires the piezo igniter. Not click, then try a match to ignite it, but there should be the sound of gas from the jet. If not, the trigger is not opening the valve, or the valve is blocked.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.