Re: SawStop files with GPO/CPSC for mandatory use in US

Page 7 of 7
Go gettem Chris...
On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 02:19:47 +0000, Leon wrote:

I bought that _option_ for SWMBO's Windstar.
-Doug
While we are on a slightly different OT subject... ;~)
As I have to a couple of others, and at lease the other Doug, ;~)
I also wish to extend to you my apologies if I have offended you in any way during this lively SawStop discussion. While we don't see eye to eye on this subject, thank God that we live in a country where this is OK. You do live in the USA don't you... ;~) Yeah,,, you do...
Any way we have both been on this news group way to long to let a simple discussion create a cold atmosphere among ourselves.
It would probably be a good idea for some one to copy past this entire thread to the government and to SawStop and let them see how the group views this issue.. I think it would send a stronger message than other forms of voicing ones views. I probably should not be the one to speak for those against the issue.. ;~)
Any way.. good night and be careful
Leon
IIRC it's on the device, i.e. stop sign, measures the rate of approach, and signals the car if it detects it's not going slow enough to stop. Must be something along the same lines, sonar/radar.

Alan Bierbaum writes:

It is NOT available. Pre-orders on the off chance it ever gets produced can be had.
Charlie Self
If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. Dorothy Parker
Leon responds:

Good. I dind't see the humor and plonked the guy. That SHIT is totally unneeded.
Charlie Self
If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. Dorothy Parker
Like always Charlie, you are a stand up guy..
I got to thinking about why this sticks in my craw so much when mandated air bags don't. Several thoughts.
First of all, this thing is apparently not something that one can add aftermarket to an existing saw - that's not what they invented (right?). Instead, they have something that would entail a manufacturer changing their product to accomodate their invention. Or buy SS's own saw. This is probably a major reason that it's not a big hit. So, they're trying to ram it down our throats rather than, say, modifying the design to be installable aftermarket.
I can see certain places encountering a liablity if a product such as the saw stop was available and not purchased - like high school shops.
Now, the comparison with air bags is kinda fuzzy. For one thing, could it be air bags were not immediately a hit because of their cost, particularly in proportion to the overall vehicle cost? Personally, I'm kinda glad that they're installed and don't have such a negative reaction on the mandate for such. Because, as safe as I may drive, someday I may come across the idiot in the other vehicle who smacks my car and this will be completely beyond my control. But also, I don't think there's only one manufacturer of air bags.
There's just something wrong with the sole entity who stands to gain financial benefit trying to secure mandated regulation so that folks are forced to buy their product.
Renata
On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 15:45:58 GMT, "Gary Milliorn"

OK, so who do we contact to regirster our opposition to this insanity? Ranting on the rec is one thing, but probably won't accomplish much. Anyone got a connection point for the GPO/CPSC that allows for public comment on proposals?
--JD
Whos already talking to his congressmen about stopping this before it starts.....
wrote:

v/2003/03-17327.htm
proprietary
Rick Chamberlain insists:

He can't. You can't. I can't. None o' God's chillun can.
Can some of you people understand that: the frigging saw is NOT ON THE MARKET YET...and may never be, with all the bad will the inventors have managed to stir up.
Charlie Self
If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. Dorothy Parker
snipped-for-privacy@aol.combleah says...

Charlie,
I know that all too well. Just rattling Leon's cage. Hope you're doing better.
Rick

MARKET
to stir up.
There ya'll go - ya done screwed up and got Charlie to hollerin'. Ya know he's been sick - he don't feel good - but did he sit back and let ya'll banter continuously? Nooooo - he gets up with his new-monia and does his best to settle this for ya.
I got your back Charlie - go get some rest and take it easy. :-)
All together now . . . "What a friend we have in Charrrr-leeee"
In all seriousness Charlie - I hope you're feeling better. Pneumonia put me in the hospital 10 years ago for a week - a helluva way to spend Christmas!
Jummy
Jim McNamara's band goes:

No hospital. Just huge pills, moxicillin, IIRC. According to the x-rays, the pneumonia is now gone. It is not missed.
Charlie Self
If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. Dorothy Parker
Charlie, some people just want to piss and moan and have the world their way. They complain about the turn of events and only yell and scream about how it affects them. If you want something bad enough you will work to get it. If they feel their freedom is at risk, they should actively fight to keep it, but don't cry about it. Crying and not doing is simply support for what you are against.

MARKET
gave
<snipped>

LOL!!! If only....!
Leon responds:

Ah, well. The real problem with that is you never know who won the argument.
Charlie Self
If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. Dorothy Parker
On 11 Jul 2003 23:22:12 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.combleah (Charlie Self) wrote:

Doesn't matter who I argue with, LOML is the one who wins. ;-)
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Tim Douglass responds:

Sounds familiar.
Charlie Self
Republicans understand the importance of bondage between a mother and child. Dan Quayle
Tim Douglass writes:
snip of sensible stuff

Agreed. To reduce problems, just cremate me and lose the ashes in a trash can somewhere.
Charlie Self
We thought, because we had power, we had wisdom. Stephen Vincent Benet