Re: pine finishes

RJohn, PIne isnt a wood species that darkens much with age, so that is not a problem. A coat of polyurethane will do a lot towards making it keep its nice look. Since pine is notorious at sucking up finishes, I suggest you use a Zinnzer sealer/coat and then apply the finishing coat. Rub out the final with wax and 0000 steel wood and you will have a nice finish. If you use a wax with stain (Woodcraft), it will have a nice, older looking finish.

I have had good luck, spraying Deft sanding sealer, sand smooth with 220, then spraying satin poly. I have done this on white pine projects. I was very happy with the results.
Kruppt