Pine Wood Chips

I have recently had a tree tradegy in my yard. All of my beautiful Loblolly pines were infested with the dreaded pine bark beetle and were removed. I now have the largest pile of pine wood chips you can imagine. I intend to spread them across the bare ground and let them decompose over time, but would like to use some as a mulch. I know they will rob the surrounding earth of nitrogen, but what type of plants will this affect and by how much?

I will now set to planting at least as many trees as were removed. My back already hurts ;-)

Len

Reply to
Lenny

Actually unless you till them into the soil the amount of nitrogen they tie up is unimportant.

Reply to
bamboo

I believe they will only use the nitrogen in the top couple of inches.

Reply to
Travis M.

Easily overcome should you see signs of nitrogen deficiency with a bit of fertilizer.

Reply to
bamboo

Thanks all! I was literally attacked by a friends mother on the phone for "killing all my azaleas" by mulching. They all still look great and should be flowering soon ( April ).

Len

7A, north of Atlanta
Reply to
Lenny