Re: OT Which sniping service do you use ?

When your identify becomes public, I'll personally introduce you to firmwear.
--
Chipper Wood

useours, yours won't work
Sorry guys........ Someone slipped me a worm and it began while I was reading this posting. It actually came from my IPS. Wiped out ALL the binary groups on my server and the addresses on my computer. Right through the firewall.
--
Chipper Wood

useours, yours won't work
On Tue, 18 May 2004 02:03:58 -0700, "Chipper Wood"

What was the worm, Chipper, and are you running an NNTP server? Or do you mean your ISP's newsserver?
posted:

Don't know what it was yet. Seems it downloaded a lot of small files in series as temporary files and processed them. It came not from the actual newsserver but from something at my ISP (They subscribe to and relay access to the newsserver.) Newsgroups had been down all weekend, when I was able to access them about 5 minutes into the session, the problem began. I will check with the owner of my ISP later today. He had an ex partner that has done some malicious things in the past. Everything else is working except there are NO binary groups accessible and all those listings are gone from my newsgroup folder.
Chipper
On Tue, 18 May 2004 08:27:57 -0700, "Chipper Wood"

Thanks. There is apparently a worm that can get you the minute you start Windoze. Bit of a worry! I always thought you had to execute a program file to become infected, but apparently not anymore <shudder>

When you start Windows the system executes a lot of files. It's actually the best time for a worm to be started because the user has little interaction with the process until all the legitimate files have been executed. By the time you have a desktop populated with your shortcuts and other icons the damage has been done.
Another good reason to have a strong anti-virus program running all the time.
Sorry about your misfortune.
jmac
posted:

No misfortune here. In eight years online, I've never had a virus or worm that did any harm to me. I've got all the latest patches and run a good up-to-date antivirus program and a firewall. Touch wood (OBRWW)