Re: OT - Spanking...Should You or Shouldn't You?

Page 3 of 3

snipped-for-privacy@little.com writes:

When I was 11 I'd buy KNO3 and sulfer by the lb from the local druggist. In those days, the pharmacist had barrels of each in the basement. Add a little charcoal, voila!
Got my first rifle about then too.
Times sure have changed.

You can still buy that stuff by the pound.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Potassium-Nitrate-saltpeter-4-4lbs-HighGrade-ExFine_W0QQitemZ6010421810
http://cgi.ebay.com/SULFUR-Powder-aka-Flowers-of-Sulfur-1-lb-Sulphur_W0QQitemZ5631859749

It can be somewhat more serious, Iggy. My ex BOL and his wife left the kids one night, when the oldest was capable of keeping watch properly. They left a pan on the kitchen stove, resulting in a kitchen fire. Everything turned out fine, but it could have turned out far differently. I'm not convinced you need worry about the actions of most children, but when something goes wrong, they often are not properly equipped, either physically or mentally, to react in the proper way at younger ages. I think I'd be more concerned about that than anything. Imagine the guilt one would carry if a child was lost to having been left alone when too young to make intelligent decisions and be able to act on them.
Harold

Doug, when I was kid, there was a boy down the street whose dad was a drunk. Every time he would put one on he would come home and beat that kid bloody. I mean bad. He used belts, boards, whatever was handy. This was in the late 50's and the police would do nothing. I wonder what happened to him. That image has stuck with me all these years. It was ugly. That more then my parents example (it was good) influenced how I disciplined my kids.I tried to always put their welfare first and never let anger motivate my discipline.

The really sad part is that the mother continued to let it happen. Why didn't she have the courage to stop the father?
chuck
Chuck Sherwood wrote:

Why wasn't she prosecuted as an accessory to capital sexual assault, or something similar? She apparently failed to take steps necessary to protect her daughter from serious harm.
Jeff

That probably was before laws about child abuse/neglect took present shape.

There was very little in the way of child abuse/neglect protection when and where I grew up. Laws existed, but were often laxly enforced.
Hell, when my parents were trying to get a commission-paid trucking terminal off the ground, I practically raised my sister. We were ten years apart. My mother could check in several times a day because they built the first office in the garage beside the house, but my baby sister was my responsibility between times. (They did make sure I got some breaks to go out and just be a kid.)
Nowadays, that would be child neglect, I suppose. It didn't hurt me overmuch and my sister and I are very close ~40 years later. There wasn't much resentment. We just did what had to be done to get out of poverty after my dad got hurt and couldn't drive his truck any longer.
Must have worked. After a few years all the back bills were paid, we owned our own house, and my dad's cars were Cadillacs when Cadillac was still a respected make. :)

It would not be, I suppose, if you were a responsible young individual above age when babysitting is allowed.

I was ten and she was less than a year when this all started. I'm not sure of the "official right age" for babysitters. I was responsible enough, apparently, for several years. :)
Of course, when I was at school, my mother had to take Sis to the office with her, but I managed to take good care of her when both my parents had to be working.
snip---

Congrats on the success!
and my dad's cars were Cadillacs when Cadillac was

Love that comment. What happened to Cadillac? I remember all too well when they were respected.
Harold

I don't know what happened, but there's just something very, very wrong about Cadillac and Lincoln pickup trucks and SUVs. :)
Every time I encounter one on the road, it somehow jars my sensibilities.

You're not going to complain about a Rolls Royce quadratrack, too, are you? <g>
I think back to the days when Cadillac made V-12 & V-16 engines and turned out cars that stood out from the pack, both in quality and design, and wonder where they went wrong.
Harold
Ignoramus1487 wrote:

Laws against rape and accessory to rape have been around for hundreds of years, dating at least from English Common Law.
Jeff
Swingman wrote:

Are you stupid or something? Are you related to Forrest Gump?
--
Ragheads - worthless pig shit eaters..
Illegal aliens - just as worthless as ragheads.

There appears to be no shortage of these folks, either. Is that what we've become?
Harold