Re: OT - Spanking...Should You or Shouldn't You?

Page 2 of 3

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051121/hl_nm/spanking_aggression_dc&printer=1 ;_ylt=Asb2X4U9cR199hYC.3SIFvsR.3QA;_ylu=X3oDMTA3MXN1bHE0BHNlYwN0bWE-
damn, I thought this was going to be a fun subject, like spanking semi-clad women...
<snip>

Wishful thinking! T

You must be from the UK :-)

correct sir I applaud your intuition.
snipped-for-privacy@nospamevereverever.net says...

Would you settle for spanking Tim May?
--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com /

no

For some parents, the first response to misbehaving kids is a threat of physical punishment, followed shortly thereafter by the actual deed. Do you think this is something all parents should consider, or is it possible that some parents are more capable of using words to get kids to understand the rules?

There is a lot of intelligence in your post (including the part I snipped).
However, it appears as if you think spanking and violence are synonyms. They are not.

You are correct. While all spanking is violence (what else is it), some forms of violence (such as beheading or rape or bayonetting) are not spanking.
snipped-for-privacy@mchsi.com says...

Terminology is quite slippery on this subject.
Apparantly, the study cited in the first post of this thread, relied upon asking parents to describe what they had done to their children.
Also, people generally discussing this subject have rose-coloured glasses on regarding either their own actions, or the actions of others.
When I was growing up, my family used the term, "spanking" to describe behaviour like beating a child unconscious, for fun.
OTOH, I have encountered people who interpret legitimate reference to "abuse" as merely indicating a little hand-swat on the bum, when the child had misbehaved. ("You're so immature for failing to feel gratitude...")
As long as "spanking" isn't really violence (in your mind), then it is reasonable for an employer who is feeling stressed-out, to pull the nearest employee's pants down, apply a belt until the little brat is barely even capable of crawling away. After all, that is a "spanking," in my experience, and thus isn't really "violence," in your mind. So nothing bad happening at all. A perfectly legitimate way for an authoriTAH figure to remind everyone who's boss.
Wanna volunteer for some "not"-violence?
--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com /

And you never said a thing? At the very least I would have been knocking on the door of the school counselor. I had a neighbor who was in the habit of kicking his dogs, I called the cops.He stopped. I would do the same for a child. I had a neighbor who left her 8 year old home alone, I called the cops. She came pounding on my door threatening to have me taken care of. Oh well.If I thought there was abuse of any kind I would report it to someone. You call the cops a few times when he is screaming and he would start thinking. Cops don't like parents who abuse their children, neither do I.
Peace to you, Dave

Believe me, it was taken care of. But, it had been going on for years before we moved to the street. The damage was done. The kids are 18-22 now, and in therapy. The oldest has her own kids. Guess how she behaves toward them. The exact same way.
What is wrong about leaving a 8 year old child home alone, provided that the child is reasonably responsible.

Do you have kids?

Yes, one. 4.5 yo.

Good. I assume you have the usual parental nightmares about what could happen to a kid in a normal, well-maintained house, regardless of how careful you are. Start writing them down. You'll have your answer.

The reason for my question is, I stayed home alone at about the age of 7 or so, it was customary where I grew up. Nothing terribly bad happened and it was not particularly challenging.
The only thing that I did that was wrong was melting a lot of lead (maybe at age 11 or so), I enjoyed lead casting and my mom would not allow me to do it (quite wisely). So I did it when no one was home. That was not good for me, I suppose.

You are joking, I suppose.

No, I am not joking.

Hell, I used to get out my dad's mercury and play with it. He had about four fluid ounces.
Nothing bad happened, luckily luckily luckily luckily (slap!)
sorry
Steve, and it is a true story.