Re: Off The Rack vs Tailor Made

"charlie b"

snip
I try never to use "off the rack" S4S 3/4" stock. Its a design thing. I dislike the look of most custom furniture that has standard 3/4" boards as its main use. I reminds me to much like IKEA junk. With the exception of kitchen cabinets, I try, when ever possible, to use slightly larger or smaller stock for most projects. It is true that lumber prep, resawing, jointing and planer work, take some extra effort but I feel it justified by the final outcome.
Dave
On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 14:56:45 -0500, Markem wrote:

That place is a 2.5 hour drive from my home. A drive well worth the trouble. I could spend - and have spent - the better part of a day just looking and drooling. I don't have much room to store wood, though, so I usually buy just what I need for a project, already dried. Perhaps some day I'll have the space to stock up on wet rough-cut lumber.
--
Art