Re: New Woodworking Magazine

Page 2 of 2
I guess that I don't have much more to say. I told you the methodology for deriving my opinion and another poster independently gave you the same opinion, but you don't buy it. Time to move on to other topics.
Bob McBreen

adequately
and
in
it
was
"RWM" wrote in message

for
You're correct, I don't buy it. Unfortunately, it's an all too familiar and tired old saw from folks who are operating from preconceived notions and who are equally unfamiliar with the concept and the technology. It is notable that the same mentality has pooh poohed almost every technological advance from the wheel to the moon lander.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/05/04
Bridger wrote:

??? Was this a serious reply or just being a smarty pants?
--
gabriel

it's a literal one. take it as smarty pants if you want, but when you make an argument based on semantics you should be precise in your use of language.
Yep, In addition to the mags, I also have six 4'X8' bookcases FULL. And books in big storage footlockers under the house (nine of those at last count).
On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 14:17:10 GMT, "Larry C in Auburn, WA"

I cut the articles out of my woodworking mags, organize them as to genre i.e. shop projects, furniture, ect. And using plastic sheet protectors place them in loose leaf binders. I have about 5 years worth in 6 binders. The binders are the 4" ones that open with the rings attached to the back cover. Saves a lot of space and I have no trouble finding articles. If I leave them in the shop the sheet protectors keep mold from forming on the pages.
--

http://users.adelphia.net/~kyhighland

"Larry C in Auburn, WA" < snipped-for-privacy@noWhere.com> wrote in message
I don't feel so bad now.
I'm in the same boat - I've got boxes of magazines in my basement full of magazines that aren't organized, and piles of books throughout the house - in real convenient locations - bathrooms, bedroom, by the computer, etc.
While I might remember the article, I would be hard pressed to find the book or magazine. Why do I keep them? I dunno, I sure can't part with them.
SWIMBO doesn't understand any of the above, and is constantly urging me to throw them away for that very reason. She's constantly reminding me that there are literally thousands of dollars tied up in books and magazines here.
Oh well. Maybe someday I'll glue them all together and make a cabinet out of them.
Brian

inches
one

She's urging you to throw them away, and then in the same breath telling you that they are worth thousands of dollars?
Am I the only one going "WTF?!".
Typical SWMBO logic, I guess.....
But it really makes me sad these days to see how reading, books, and knowledge are denigrated in popular culture...
Me too except I also have Wood, Fime Woodworking, Fine Homebuilding, Woodsmith, Shop Notes, Rifle, Handloader and a couple of others. What DO you do with them? They have WAY too much good data in them to just throw them away. Guess I ought to learn how to use my scanner and start scanning them in. Problem is, I have no idea what I will want to know/look at in the future.
On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 13:19:18 GMT, "Bubba"

You betchum buckwheat, I save them all, except Newsweek. Shop has lots of different WW mags in plastic milk cartons (christ, here come the zealots again!) that hold them perfectly, and they are stackable. I collect stamps and have a nice stash of Linn's Stamp News too, about 3 years worth of the weekly pub boxed.
Bubba wrote:

"Charlie Self" wrote in message

miss it.

be.
are
I lean my ReB against the sugar bowl and turn the pages by hitting the button with the fork handle. There NO flicker whatsoever on the screen. No lights are necessary to read it at night because the screen is backlit (SWMBO's love this feature); fonts are adjustable in size if you need reading glasses, as well as in style; the device turns itself off after ten minutes of no page turning if you go to sleep; the battery last for a week of reading to sleep at night; if there is a word I need to lookup, touch the word and a dictionary pops up with the definition; I can also skim pages and underline and bookmark passages, and make notes on any of the 50 or so novels it holds; it recognizes my handwriting/printing; the device feels like a folded back paper back book when in hand, AND I have a leather cover for it, which means ALL my books are leather bound! :)
... and this has been going on for six years ... since 1998.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/05/04