Re: Morrill Saw Set - Anyone know how to use?

If you have no luck here try posting this to the old tools mail list. snipped-for-privacy@clamor.law.cornell.edu Someone there will be able to answer this question.

-- Bill Rittner R & B ENTERPRISES

snipped-for-privacy@cox.net

"Don't take this life too seriously.......nobody gets out alive" (Unknown)

I figured it's about time to sharpen my handsaws and reset the teeth. I > have an old Morrill saw set (1880 vintage) which seems to be perfectly > functional. I can get it to push teeth sideways just fine, but I'm not > sure I'm setting the thing up correctly. > > I'm hoping someone can give me some hints. > > Thanks > > -6 > > PS: If the advice is to go out and find a Stanley 42 - I'm already > considering it.
Reply to
Bill Rittner

Do you have a saw vise? It's a lot easier to set teeth when they're presented properly to you. Decide what set you want (ten thousandths per side is good), measure the deflection of the teeth, then adjust the set to make the teeth lean that much. Then sharpen the teeth.

Suggestion: Start by sharpening the teeth. If it pulls to one side after that, check and adjust the set. Then touch up those teeth in case they changed their angle.

Here are some links for more info:

(great site) Stanley's actual saw set instruction sheet:

and videos:
NOT, under any circumstances, go to this site and follow -any- of their ideas:

(Egad! This was probably submitted to them by either Joe Woody Woodpecker or Bay Area Dave.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------- The more we gripe, *

longer God makes us live. * Graphic Design - Humorous T-shirts

Reply to
Larry Jaques

For some strange reason, I have a small collection of saw sets. While the Morrill certainly works, I'd rank it at best in third place, with a Taintor's Positive Number 7 in first place and a Stanley (can't remember the number) in second.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 00:11:57 GMT, No6 pixelated:

Practice on a flat strip of metal. Measure it before and after the "set". If it's more than 0.010" wider afterwards, adjust the saw set to move it less. Test again.

Agreed!

Reply to
Larry Jaques