Re: Ideas for indoor bleachers needed

: I am starting a new position teaching 4th graders in a gifted program : and will be having about 12 at a time in my class, a new group each : day of the week. : : I want to build a small set of bleachers for the classroom. I was : thinking plywood and 2X4 construction with three levels, each 2 feet : deep. It would look like this: : : Side view: : : __ : __| | : __| | : |_____| : : I'm thinking 8 feet wide and six feet deep so as to result in the 2 : feet deep per level. 8 feet wide will save on cutting and joints. : 2X4 framing underneath. Also thinking assembly with screws so that it : will be able to be broken down if need be to move it. : : Any thoughts on this? : : : - - Are you up to date on your liability insurance ? Have you checked the codes for railings, walk down area , handicap access, school liability, inspections, etc...
DL,
Some friends of mine in Holland transform their living room into a theater with 4 levels of bleachers that can be stored in a box about 8 feet long by 3 feet wide and 1 foot high! When it's assembled, (takes an hour to put together) it can hold almost 30 people. The perform a dinner theater and a childrens theater on a regular basis then everything gets folded up and put away.
You can see it on their website at: <http://www.hetkamertheater.nl It's in dutch but the pictures are in english :) click on "Het Theater" on the left - it will open a seperate window - click the camera icon on the top-right of the new window. Pictures 4,5 & 6 give you some idea of the transformation.
There is also contact info and they speak english real goodly :) If you email them for ideas, tell them Tom from Canada sent you.
Best of luck!

This response, while undoubtedly necessary strikes me as caused by a very sad situation where government once again is driving us to the lowest common denominator. If these kids a bright they need to be able to do different things (and god forbid, take chances.)
Phil
David Hall wrote:

Have you checked any schools in the area that may have some band or choir risers that they would donate to you?

I was thinking something solid would be safer as those have a very low rise and those gaps which can absorb limbs and things. This would be back against the wall so no one could fall off of the back. The business manager dude does raise an interesting issue.
- -
DL
http://www.geocities.com/dicklong14_ca/fanclub.htm

"Ahh, job hunt. Had an interview this week and all I learned is this: Despite its name, the company "Johnson Controls" does not manufacture condoms." - Anonymous
Halter Sucks!