Automobile interior ideas needed

Hi all, I'm fixing up a 1966 Mercury Comet and am having a hard time finding some interior parts that don't cost a fortune so just to be different I'm thinking of doing some of the parts in wood...specifically the dashpad, door panels and the rear window package tray. The car is garaged and there's no kids involved so weather damage and normal wear and tear should be minimum. The door panels and rear package tray I dont think present much of a problem as they're flat so it's only a matter of selecting the grain and stain.The interior is red so I figure a dark cherry stain on the selected grain veneer paneling should look OK and not dominate. The problem will be with the dashpad which has curves and angles I'm not sure how to deal with...so If anyone has any ideas on how I could tackle this I'd love to hear from you. The existing dashpad has a metal baseplate with mounting bolts attached and is easily removed from the dash itself...so using this baseplate ( after removing foam and vinyl) seems like the obvious way to attach the wood. Thanks for any and all input........

Reply to
Knob

I don't have a very good picture in my head of what a 1966 Comet dashpad baseplate looks like, but could you press on a veneer over the bare metal of the whole thing? I guess you'd need to rough up and carefully clean the surface of the metal and then use CA glue or contact cement, or possibly gorilla glue (don't know how this'd do with veneer). Or Rockler has PSA-backed veneer sheets up to 24"x96". Sounds interesting - post a picture to APBW when you get done. Good luck, Andy

Reply to
Andy