ideas and help needed

Would appreciate some thoughts on solutions to a problem.

I have a large concrete parking area in back of the house. I use it as a workspace for a number of different projects. A variety of machines are parked there at various times.

The pad is exposed to direct sun, with no shade. This makes project work during much of the day rather brutal.

I'm looking for some form of portable shelter that I can easily move around to cover the project being worked.

I've tried the approx 10'x10' portable shelters. They're fine, except they have to be guyed to stand up in any wind. Moving them to get a boat or tractor in or out is problematical because of the need to move the guys also.

Right now I'm trying to use a patio umbrella. It's a 9' canopy on a 8' pole.

My problem is trying to find a base that will keep it upright so it won't tip over in light wind. I've tried the cast iron ones like Lowes and Home Depot sell, and they simply aren't enough (they're approx 50lbs or so).

So, would appreciate thoughts and ideas of inexpensive, readily obtainable items that might make a good base for my patio umbrella. One thought is a barrel of sand. That's heavy, but I'm not sure I can get around the ultimate base being heavy. Heavy is acceptable.

Reply to
rb

Making few big/heavy around concrete with a hole in middle, and if you want stronger then make and stack few more to the base. IOW, you can = make either (2) 50lbs or (4) 25lbs, and you can ROLL them from one place to other.

Same with the shelter, you can stick and bolt the poles to the concrete blocks.

Reply to
Joel

on 5/19/2007 7:15 PM rb said the following:

How about a portable canopy? Like these:

've seen one locally in a store but forgot which one. It was either Lowes, HD, or Sam's.

Reply to
willshak

Sounds like a permanent fixture, a concrete pad/parking area. Consider a carport. Roll down canvas on west side for sun protection. You want air movement, as much as possible outside. That's the only cooling you have other than the shade provided.

If the unknown size of this concrete area would make it prohibitive cost-wise to cover the entire area, only do an area large enough that you actually need. Don't have to cover it all. Dave

Reply to
Dave