Re: I can't change the blade on a B & D miter saw.

On Nov 10, 12:42pm, snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com wrote:

Yes! And I did try both clock and counter clock wise.
Tom wrote:

Try an impact driver--one of them spring-loaded, hit 'em w/ a hammer thingies.
Sounds like perhaps original owner may have used it w/o having fully tightened blade and the starting torque can really overtighten and slightly stretch bolts. (DAMHIKT :( but I'll tell the story anyway--got interrupted while changing blade on Dad's little contractor saw while building the kitchen cabinets. Forgot where was when got back and just automatically turned it on to go. Spun that sucker on so tight was a _major_ pita when did need to change next time)
My DeWalt has an armature locking pin; don't know B&D well enough but look carefully, it's a pretty small little rod that could be overlooked.
If have a buddy or know some service shop well, maybe could drop by and borrow an impact wrench or get them to do it for you, maybe???
On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 10:00:24 -0800 (PST), the infamous Tom

With the saw blade turning toward you to cut, the nut comes off the way the teeth point.
Vacuum and then blow all the sawdust out of the saw. Now get your littlel propane torch out and put it right on the nut while spinning the blade with your hand. Once it's good and hot, try loosening it again. It should pop off.
If not, remove any side panel to get a straight shot at the arbor nut with an impact gun set to tighten. Arbors are reverse threaded.
Did someone try to pull a "saw stop" thing with this one? "OK, turn it on and I'll swing/jam a bat into the teeth at full speed. That oughta stop 'er, JimmyBob!"
---------------------------------------------------- Thesaurus: Ancient reptile with excellent vocabulary ===================================================
"Larry Jaques" wrote:

Not on my watch.
A 1500 Watt heat gun, maybe, but not a propane torch.
Lew
On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 18:50:48 -0800, the infamous "Lew Hodgett"

Somehow I was thinking "table saw", not miter. If your miter has plastic safety shields and other plastic bits, no to both.
Otherwise, I like the propane torch because it puts the heat -exactly- where I point it rather than heating everything to that temp. YMMV.
---------------------------------------------------- Thesaurus: Ancient reptile with excellent vocabulary ===================================================

Assuming the blade is installed correctly. :-)

The easiest way to determine is that an arbor nut turns to tighten in the same direction as the way the blade turns to cut wood.
Not so. All blades release by turning the nut the way the blade turns. True for table saws, circular saws, miter saws, pavement saws.
--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

Yes! And I did try both clock and counter clock wise.
Always always with out exception you loosen a nut by turning it in the same dirrection that it spins when running. Have you checked for an armature lock button?
Leon wrote:

If it doesn't come off any other way find a service station and tip a mechanic to take it off with a big impact wrench. There should be enough friction for the impact to trigger even if the blade is slipping on the shaft.