Re: how white is "lily white"?

hex wrote:

Set a GOOD straight edge on it and see if there is any larger gaps in the length of the stone. That will tell you if it's flat enough.

Thanks for the reply...
Straightest edge I own is one leg of a 6x8 machinists square. The result of laying the edge of the square on the stone and holding it up to the sky is a thin even line of light; the contact points are at the ends of the stone. I don't have anything remotely thin enough to use as a feeler gauge to measure it. I'm willing to say "flat 'nuff for now". The box for the stone suggests official Pike Oil, but that's not an option. Who makes good honing oil these days? Is it worth worrying over?
hex -30-
It means she fooled around a lot, but never went all the way.... -- Ernie
Have a traditional "You suck!" for the drive-by gloat. White Washitas are great stones, and extremely expensive in that size here in UK.
Any light mineral oil will do fine. Old-timers used to use milk: water bite, oil = polish, milk = a mix of these properties. I reckon the stone would smell pretty rancid after while, though....
Enjoy.
Cheers,
Frank
hex wrote:

Lily white? I have a lily white ass, so I guess it should be a pale peachy sort of color? :)

I'll vouch for her butt. It's very white. And very nice. Oh, and I do have a photograph... Posting to ABPW now.