Re: Doonesbury

Page 1 of 4
DGDevin wrote:

There three classic reasons for the criminal law of sanctions: * To protect society from further depredations of the convicted; * To rehabilitate the offender; and * To deter others from similar rascally behavior.
Point three is the one I think you refer.
While it is true that felons cannot own a gun, there as a UNIVERSE of occupations closed to them. They can't be lawyers, doctors, dentists, nurses, CPAs, professional engineers, and more. They can't own a child-care nursery or a plant nursery, they can't get a commercial driver's license for hauling hazardous chemicals, they can't join the military, they can't own or even work for an exterminating company.
The have a VERY hard time getting bonded, so most occupations handling money are forstalled. Things like bank tellers, retail clerks, or ticket sellers at the movie theatre.
They can't vote or hold political office. They can't be involved, even at the margins, in law enforcement. In some places, they can't even be a notary public!
I've painted with a broad brush on the above. Certainly there exist jurisdictions where some of the above sanctions do not apply, but nowhere are ALL the constraints missing.
It's a bad hat to be a felon.
J. Clarke wrote:

You are the one who asserted that it is not illegal to buy or use drugs in the Netherlands. I disputed that, sort of. I showed you that it is illegal in The Netherlands to "possess" virtually all drugs. By buying or using drugs, one is "possessing" them, therefore both of those conditions are illegal.
It is now up to you to validate your claim.
snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMgmail.com says...

Any ggogleing of "Netherlands Drug Policy" will show that oan walk into a restaurant in the Netherlands and buy drugs off a menu.
Technically, they are unlawful however the official policy is that the law is not enforced. The same is true in Portugal. If you want to call something done in accordance with official government policy "illicit" go right ahead.

Only true for a "coffeeshop" a Dutch euphemism for a pot cafe. Restaurant are different establishments.

Technically correct. But since jurisprudence is important in Holland, as it is here in the US, it is difficult to reverse the Dutch laissez faire attitude that regards soft drugs as tolerated openly.
--
Best regards
Han
On 02/17/2011 01:58 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

The same situation with our current immigration "policy" versus our immigration laws.
J. Clarke wrote:

I'm glad you finally agree with my statement above, "EVERY drug illegal to possess in the US is also illegal to possess in the Netherlands."
If you want to discuss police and prosectorial malfeasance, corruption in government, and subverting the rule of law, that's a whole 'nother thread.
snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMgmail.com says...

The policy in Portugal is implemented by public law. So how is that "police and prosecutorial malfeasance, corruption in government, and subverting the rule of law"?
Sorry, but you really need to get your head of the DEA's ass and start doing some research on your own--the DEA has a vested interest in making us believe that drugs are an immense problem that can only be resolved by draconian measures implemented by the DEA busting all and sundry.
"J. Clarke" wrote in message

Yup, as a rule bureaucracies rarely report to the legislature that they should receive less funding and less power because they aren't really fixing the problem.
J. Clarke wrote:

I knew nothing about Portugal, so I didn't comment on it. Since you insisted, I looked it up.
EVERY drung illegal in the U.S. is likewise imposes a sanction on the Portugese.
While up to a ten day's supply of a drug is not subject to CRIMINAL penalties in Portugal, people who possess these drugs ARE subject to CIVIL remedies, including fines and incarceration.
You are confusing "decriminalization" with "legalization." Illegal drugs are still "illegal" in Portugal, though only through the civil process.
snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMgmail.com says...

Only if they are not addicted.

Yes, they are technical violations of the law.
You seem to be getting hung up on minor technicalities and not on the actual effect of the policies.

Pot, kettle.....

Go fuck yourself asshole. Let's see how much crap you can generate from that. Should be quite a lot because you're full of it.
"Upscale" wrote in message

And you're back to your home turf, grade school insults (since that's the best you're capable of).
Let's see, that would make the score:
Everybody Else 99 You 0
Even pulling the goalie is no longer an option Mr. Screen Name. Better luck next time.

Go fuck yourself.
A simple response is adequate for you since you don't have the brain power to deal with anything more complex.
"Upscale" wrote in message

Aren't you the guy who was out of this thread several posts back?

The rest of the world is all idiots, you're the only smart guy here. Got it.

And here *I* thought YOU, Devvy, were the only smart guy here. You sure try awful hard to come out 'on top'..even 'on top' of useless arguments. Idiot.
"Robatoy" wrote in message

Is the concept of "irony" in your lexicon, Robotboy?

I see it bothers you to be called Devvy.
I was waiting for a tray of stuffed peppers to bake, so I had a little time to waste. So I did a little Googling and lo and behold DGDevin is an asshole in LOTS of other newsgroups too. Same MO, same weak shit, and of course ALL other people are stupid. Doesn't matter what the topic is, Devvy steers it to a point where he can claim (often weak) victory. Devvy likes nothing better than belittling people. Signs of a bully. I LIKE beating up on bullies. They need to be taught a lesson. Most of them, and I have every reason to believe Devvy is one of them, will run away with their tails between their legs, especially in a real time situation.
You're an asshole, Devvy... to the core.
Ooopps.. the oven just beeped... have a nice day, Devvy, I shall not waste any more time today dealing with your transparent weak-ass trolling. ( I said today.. I may decide to tickle you under your chin at a later date.)
"Robatoy" wrote in message

A) What connection is there between what I posted and your response? B) Why would anyone by upset to be called names by an angry imbecile?

English translation: your nose is so out of joint that you did a search on me in hopes of finding something to use as a stick with which to beat me, you're *that* angry. Sad, or what?

Another *devastating* blow, it's a miracle I haven't thrown myself sobbing onto the floor, isn't it.

Let's see, *you* are the guy who jumped into a thread you otherwise had no interest in just to piss and whine about what a bastard I am, but you maintain that *I'm* the troll. So now we know that you're as ignorant of logic as you are of irony.
Hey, you know what's really funny, I don't even remember what it was that we were arguing about that has clearly left such bruises on your ego. Whatever it was, you obviously haven't forgotten, have you.

I'm not upset about you calling me names. Stop giving yourself so much credit!

That translation of yours is incorrect. Making up stuff again, eh?
Uhhmm, nope. I googled other news groups because I was curious to find out if it was normal for you to get so upset. Obviously, you get all excited if anybody talks to you. You do this all the time. Streeeetching out discussions just to feel wanted. Unfortunately, you are just not interesting enough for me to do any further searches.
Devvy, if lowly lill' ol' me gets you all this excited, you must live a very boring life.
You are correct about one thing. You did demonstrate in a previous exchange how screwed up you are, I just butted in to see if your condition was chronic. It seems to be.
Bottom line? I'm bored with you. How about something creative?
Nighty night! Don't stay up too long thinking of ways to get to this Big Bad Robatoy... because regardless of what gurgles out of your limited mind, I will always consider that it is just Devvy spouting off again.
And now I fart in your general direction!