Is there a law of disapearing chuck keys?

Over the years I've lost about 10 chuck keys for my drill, and yet I'm so careful to keep them with the drill. I swear there is some force in the universe that makes them vanish when you really want one. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Brian Gaff used his keyboard to write :

Piece of old, thick, truck inner tube - cut stip off and make two holes in it, one for the cable to go through one for the chuck key. Never loose a key again.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Chuck keys are so old fashioned.

Reply to
ARW

Get one of those things that ties the key to the flex - then you can't lose it!

(or put on a keyless chuck)

Reply to
John Rumm

Swap to a keyless chuck? Certainly for a hand drill. For a pillar drill, a bit of decent string round it?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They just fall in love and elope...

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

I have an old fashioned drill, it still works and its fine for me, I'm not doing anything too massive I am not going to have a drill I might be able to do damage with I am a sensible blind person. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yep I think we call it a bit of string :-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

Just stick a nice bright colour long cable tie on it. Making it more visible.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A bit of string around the flex can bring problems of its own if it is long enough to allow the key to be used while still attached and the user leaves it in the chuck. A mate of mine who could rival Frank Spencer for his accident proneness or clumsiness did that on top of an aluminium ladder while repairing some guttering, the sparks from the severed flex as hit each rung in turn as it fell were quite interesting to watch according to his wheel chair bound neighbour watching from the adjoining garden,this chap had already asked his wife to bring out his old crash helmet as previously my mate had showered him with dislodged and broken tiles.

GH

Reply to
Marland

Correctly-sized spanners went out of fashion on the Tyneside shipbuilders decades ago.

Geordie spanner = club hammer and cold chisel.

Reply to
Andrew

I call it a collection of v powerful magnets from old microwave ovens. All the important 'keys', adaptors and widgets are stuck on those.

Reply to
Andrew

For my pillar drill, the key is attached to a good solid cord suspended from the roof above it. With enough slack so that it can't get entangled, obviously.

Reply to
newshound

ROFL.

I have *never* forgotten my first "safety talk" for a Saturday morning job in the Goblin factory just outside Leatherhead in 1965, just before I was let loose on a lathe (not to do any actual turning, just to manually deburr a component off one of the automatic machines). The foreman pointed up to the "sawtooth" roof where there was a classic bullet-hole type mark in one of the wired glass roof lights about 30 feet above. "That was made by a chuck key that had been left in this lathe when the operator switched it on".

Reply to
newshound