Is there a law gainst this?

Amazon signed me up without my say so for 'Prime' and if I had not taken prompt action it would have cost me £75 a year.
On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 09:16:52 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I think you will find that you accidentally clicked on the shiny "yes" button instead of the discreetly positioned "no thanks" button at some point.
Very easy to do. The site is designed that way.
Cheers
Dave R

On 22/04/18 09:42, David wrote:

No. I did NOT.
I did that once before and have been uber careful ever since

--
"If you don’t read the news paper, you are un-informed. If you read the
news paper, you are mis-informed."

On 22/04/2018 11:38, Jimbo ... wrote:

No. Happened to me too - and I tried to be extra careful the second time.
--
Oliver

It is. I did. Tried it for a year to see if it was worth the money. it isn't.

Bastards.
--
Today is Boomtime, the 39th day of Discord in the YOLD 3184
On 22/04/2018 09:42, David wrote:

The AA cunningly sign you up to a recurring debit agreement if you apply for and pay for car insurance on-line. They have really carefully hidden that tick-box.

SFAIK, it is illegal for you to be enrolled in a paying service without your consent. However, if you have, at any time, accepted a trial of Prime, you have agreed to it being automatically renewed when the trial period ends. Given the way they present the options, it is not difficult accidentally to chose to trial Prime when navigating to the checkout.

Colin Bignell
On 22/04/18 09:49, Nightjar wrote:

Except that having been caught that way once, I am uber careful.
--
"If you don’t read the news paper, you are un-informed. If you read the
news paper, you are mis-informed."
On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 09:59:27 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I have just given up using Amazon. Except in extremis, where no one else has what I want.
On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 10:33:10 +0100, Jim K wrote:

A variety of places. Google and the Shopping tab usually work, and it ends up being just the same few suppliers. For e-books, usually Google Play (and no DRM to speak of).
Well its not that bad. I hate ebay, and many many sites are totally inaccessible to blind users, and to me normally, Amazon have been fair and helpful when I contact them or their sellers. If you decided every time you saw an advert down the high street and buy whatever then you would be a little mad. I've been to many shops where they have given me a free gift but I've always enquired if there are strings attached and sometimes there is, read the small print. which I get them to do if I might be interested of course!
Brian
--
----- -
On 22/04/18 10:31, Bob Eager wrote:

I'm still using them for the low hassle/reliable delivery aspect. The problem is, a new supplier is like a lottery. The few suppliers I know well who use DPD and have clear "order by X hours and we'll ship today" get my business.
But too many times a new supplier is a lucky dip - ship in a few days when they can be bothered, uses Yodel or 2nd class post...

I've managed rather well without ever using Amazon.
--
*Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot.

Bob Eager wrote:

Absolutely useless and dearer than the many alternatives.

Me too.
I *may* be wrong, but GDPR might be tightening up on this. OK Amazon are sneaky, but they are also pretty good on customer service. I suspect that if you found a debit, and challenged it, they would refund it.
On 22/04/18 11:29, newshound wrote:

They did last toime.
This time they sent some emails saying 'welcome to prime' so I said WTF? and they had signed me up. I cancelled immediately
kind word alone.
Do you have an Amazon Echo or Echo dot etc? In the alexa app you will find it is very easy to accidentally sign up for prime or music unlimited both of which are paid services. I would only mention this as mobile users often get caught due to the way they swipe and click and then suddenly there is an extra option they do not notice. Once again the blind can hear the screenreader and take steps to avoid this. About a week ago there was a box popping up on Amazon on the way to checkout about insurance. a totally unneeded thing and it needed to be dismissed carefully as there was a paid opt in checkbox on it. I see that has gone now, maybe somebody complained. No the marketers are always trying to con you, but they would call it something else of course.. grin. Brian
--
----- -

My impression of uber is that they are not very careful at all.
Nick