RE: Cudos to Apex Tool Group

Why do *you* believe that you know more about what other's work is worth than those who are paying them? No one is forcing you to watch sports and you can surely pay double what the contractor asks next time you have your house roofed.
On 3/22/2015 6:06 PM, snipped-for-privacy@zzz.com wrote:

Every one is entitled to an opinion. But there is a difference between worth and what some one is paid.

Not at all. If someone wasn't worth what they were paid, the transaction wouldn't happen. That's the definition of worth.
On 3/22/2015 6:25 PM, snipped-for-privacy@zzz.com wrote:

Which is worth more to you, A person that helps you or entertains you? Both charge you nothing.

Which is more important, water or air? IOW, it's a false choice.

Huh? Someone is feeding them.

On 3/22/15 6:16 PM, Leon wrote:

From an economics view, that is the very definition of worth.
--

-MIKE-

On 3/22/2015 7:39 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

But from an actual personal need....which is worth more to you? Someone that helps you or someone that entertains you?
On 3/23/15 10:41 AM, Leon wrote:

We're conflating two different types of worth: economic and that of merit or virtue. The former is not subjective, for the most part, while the latter is completely subjective.
I am making a moral judgment when I say I don't think an auto line worker with a GED is worth the same in compensation from his company as someone who spent years and money to get educated, trained, and experience in their field. Because from an economic standpoint, there are worth whatever their employer pays them.
You are saying the same thing with the athlete/teacher comparison.
In the end, since we don't all share the same morals and values, the free market and the democratic process is the best way to do it. Thank God we live in a country where we can freely debate these things while typing from our relatively cheap computers. :-)
--

-MIKE-

On 3/23/2015 11:54 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

Mike I think we both are thinking the same, I'm obliviously not stating my view quite how I want it to be received, not being highly educated. ;~)

I'd bet those roofers have safety equipment that goes unused because it slows them down.
On 3/22/2015 6:04 PM, snipped-for-privacy@zzz.com wrote:

To tell you the truth I think most roofers in Texas would not recognize safety equipment. I think they do however think of a ladder as a safety item for getting down off of a roof. And they sit on big foam rubber blocks to keep from being burned by the scorching hot shingles.

It's the same here. I see the monkeys climbing all over 15:12 roofs, with no safety equipment. I'm sure it's in the truck, though (and the boss "thinks" it's being used).
On 3/22/15 6:19 PM, Leon wrote:

I think that foam grips the roof, too, and keeps them from sliding down.
--

-MIKE-

On 3/22/2015 7:40 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

It does that but some of the younger guys don't use the foam, they just stand in one spot and bend over.
On 3/22/15 6:04 PM, snipped-for-privacy@zzz.com wrote:

Just like the safety equipment on the assembly line on the job he says isn't any fun. :-)
--

-MIKE-

But you can bet the boss supplies it.
On 3/22/2015 9:20 PM, snipped-for-privacy@zzz.com wrote:

Not when the boss and his crew has only been in the country for a few weeks.

Haven't seen that. The boss is a gringo.
On 3/22/2015 3:53 PM, Bill wrote:

I'm not going to enter for arguments sake but these assembly line workers are not being forced to work there. If they don't have the aptitude for this kind of work, to keep from being injured, they should look elsewhere. Life is not fair. Just because you are hired to do a job it does not mean you have the skill set to do it safely.
On 3/22/2015 4:53 PM, Bill wrote:

So where I grew up in Long Island NY the garbage men were making more than the teachers 30 years ago. I don't know now, as I haven't lived there since 78. While garbage men have a tough job, I personally think it's because they are totally unskilled labor. I don't think they deserved the pay they were getting.
On the other hand, Foreign labor coming over here were putting me out of work for years. The way things have been setup, it's more beneficial to a company to hire foriegn workers. They get away with a lot. Having talked to recruiters and staffing firms last year, my eyes were opened to the F'up the congress created. My Indian counterpart is buying houses in the 5000 sq foot range, while I am 1800 sq ft. They buy the Mercedes, BMW, Audi and Lexus. I have been told by a few Indian friends what they are making. So I am sure that it's not all lower price.
--
Jeff