RE: Cudos to Apex Tool Group

Exactly, spending less money on education and more on entertainment is a make me feel good NOW habit. I'll let the government take care of me after I have spent my rainy day money.

Reply to
Leon

And the shame of it all is that the public simply does not know how irresponsible spending is affection their quality of life. The entertainers are better salesmen than our educators...

Reply to
Leon

Who knew that this simple post would generate a thread with 128 responses and still counting?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

That's a completely different kettle-o-fish, but note that the politicians that you put in office signed the check in your absence. ...and mine.

I have no problem with that. The teams pay taxes. If the league also paid tax, the teams would be effectively double-taxed.

Reply to
krw

Utter nonsense. There is FAR too much money being spent on education now. More is not always more. Unless you fix the real problems, more money is wasted. Once you fix those problems, more money isn't needed. Much less, in fact.

Yer kiddin', right?

Because the government is stealing more money from some and giving it to others (after taking a huge cut to feed itself). Because government is micro managing the economy. Because government is picking winners and losers. Because government is forcing you to buy what you don't want. There are about a thousand more reasons.

No, the voters are smart enough to vote themselves a piece of the treasury.

Reply to
krw

Nonsense. I have plenty of money to do both and choose to save for the future, to boot. The problem is that government makes a golden hammock out of the safety net.

Reply to
krw

And every one spends exactly like you.

Reply to
Leon

Brilliant. Explain to me how to fix what needs to be fixed with out spending money.

I can see that I am waiting my time trying to point out the obvious.

Reply to
Leon

1) Start by getting rid of teacher's unions, then get rid of teachers who aren't pulling their weight (just as every other business does). 2) Fire 90% of all administrators and use that money to improve facilities. 3) Get rid of the Department of Education. They're a drag on the whole process. More useless (and *expensive*) overhead certainly isn't needed. 4) Give parents, particularly in inner cities, portable vouchers to take their kids where they want. 5) Unfortunately there isn't a lot that you can do with parents but you can take children who want to excel out of failing schools and put them in charter schools. Force parents to participate in these schools. Warehouse the rest of the kids. 6) Teach RRRs, civics, history, and such. Forget "Heather has two mommies".

I'm sure there are many others.

It should be pretty plain. Stealing from Peter to pay Paul is a big part of it, but see the other post.

Reply to
krw

Learn to take care of yourself or suffer the consequences. It really is that simple.

Reply to
krw

...snip...

The following are all good ideas. I just have a few questions.

- Who will be responsible for this task? (See your item #3)

- Who will be responsible for this task? (See your item #3)

- Who will be responsible for this task?

- Once this task is completed, who will be responsible for your items 1, 2, 4 & 5?

- Who will be responsible for this task? (See your item #3)

- What methods do you suggest to take kids out of failing schools and put them in charter schools at no cost?

- What means do you suggest for forcing parents to participate?

- Who will be responsible for these tasks? (See your item #3)

- Please define "Warehouse the rest of the kids."

...snip...

Reply to
DerbyDad03

And how do you learn to take care of your self???, sometimes it needs to be taught in your education.

I will admit that I did not get a thorough education but I have been very comfortably retired for 20 years since age 40 and have been totally debt free since 1997.

Reply to
Leon

Usually, one makes some mistakes and fixes them. One has to care, though. With the golden hammock, the motivation is greatly reduced, though.

So you admit that it's possible. ;-)

Reply to
krw

You are my friend, in a word, consummately autodidactic.

Not to worry though, you're in good company...

... so was Einstein. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

"consummately autodidactic"

umm...that's *two* words. You needs to learn you some more math. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Formal education is good. Common sense and logic are better. You've proved it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Won't work. I can work, but the teacher union and politicians won't let it happen.

My high school in Philadelphia had 3200 students and 4 or 5 people in the office. Where I live now, he don't have that many pupils in the entire school system, yet we have a full school board and many administrators in each of the schools and the assistants have assistants. .

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Going back a number of years, schools were run like that. They have become bloated with top level administrators that add nothing to the education. Too many regulations.

To implement, just set the clock back about 50 years and use the old playbook on how to run a school. It worked. It was much cheaper.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

One of the privileges of being autodidactic ...

Reply to
Swingman

LOL, but only with the help of a spread sheet program and my first computer in 1986. I painted a picture on a spread sheet of what refinancing and adding extra money with each payment would save me and for me it saved me 14 years off of an original 30 year mortgage. That was 6 years into that

30 year mortgage.

I showed this spread sheet to 5 relatives, friends, and my boss. All but one began the process of paying their homes off early almost immediately after I showed them how to do this. Shockingly, my boss/the owner of the company, accelerated payments to the tune of 10K per month and paid his house of within the year. I could not believe that he had not thought of this himself.

Anyway, 2 years after I retired my wife and I paid our house off after

16 total years. We originally had a 30 year mortgage and began working to accelerate payments, 6 years later, by first refinancing to 15 years and then paying extra with each payment.

So if you spend your money wisely you get to keep more of it. But our society does not promote this way of thinking. I think better educators that don't have to play baby sitters could teach this. This needs to be taught. I was once described by a home salesman as un-American when I paid cash for my next home. He was kidding of course but that comment told me a lot.

Reply to
Leon