RE: Cudos to Apex Tool Group

I'm not going to enter for arguments sake but these assembly line workers are not being forced to work there. If they don't have the aptitude for this kind of work, to keep from being injured, they should look elsewhere. Life is not fair. Just because you are hired to do a job it does not mean you have the skill set to do it safely.

Reply to
Leon

Well stop buying the advertized products and their salaries will come into line...

There is certainly something wrong with a society that pays it's entertainers more than its health care workers and educators.

Reply to
Leon

For what I paid to have my house re-shingled, the company could have afforded to pay his employees $200/day. But since maybe only 1 spoke English, I doubt they did that well.

Reply to
Bill

So where I grew up in Long Island NY the garbage men were making more than the teachers 30 years ago. I don't know now, as I haven't lived there since 78. While garbage men have a tough job, I personally think it's because they are totally unskilled labor. I don't think they deserved the pay they were getting.

On the other hand, Foreign labor coming over here were putting me out of work for years. The way things have been setup, it's more beneficial to a company to hire foriegn workers. They get away with a lot. Having talked to recruiters and staffing firms last year, my eyes were opened to the F'up the congress created. My Indian counterpart is buying houses in the 5000 sq foot range, while I am 1800 sq ft. They buy the Mercedes, BMW, Audi and Lexus. I have been told by a few Indian friends what they are making. So I am sure that it's not all lower price.

Reply to
woodchucker

I think the health care workers, at least those at the hospital level, are being treated pretty well financially. They have "tough" working conditions too (12-hour+ shifts, as the norm, in a tough environment).

Reply to
Bill

If a movie makes a billion dollars because I'm in it, then it's not unfair pay. It's the free market.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I don't know why he can't retire and come back either. It is most likely NOT double dipping. Retirement payments are almost always paid out of an annuity. If the state would simply exempt returning retirees from getting a second pension the matter would be solved. The actual problem is that they want to rehire at beginning salary and not at the same salary they were paying when originally employee. This is just one reason my wife did not go back to work for the state after retiring. Plus at a certain point an experienced government worker is simply making too much money. They are replaced by cheap new hires and the government really does not care if they are efficient or not.

Reply to
Leon

You had the choice to hire them. If I hired a roofing company to roof my house, they would have to provide me with proof that all workers were here legally and they were getting paid market value and workers' comp. Oh, and I would want to inspect recent jobs to make sure they knew WTF there were doing.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Some are but there are many behind the scenes that you don't see and now that the government is involved the waste of money cut short what could be paid to workers. It is ridiculous that you have to hire staff to simply collect what the government owes.

Reply to
Leon

True. Plus they are well educated and well trained and have the lives of other people in their hands every day. Yet some auto workers with a GED make more than them.

Reply to
-MIKE-

You think? Does your contribution to society for being in the movie make you worth a salary of $50,000,000? This is our society but on this path no one will be able to afford to go to the movies. I understand how we think this way and I understand why we are in the shape we are in. We put too much value in things that make us happy today but not for all of the tomorrows.

Reply to
Leon

So Bill did you factor in equipment expense, mandatory insurance, over head, taxes, advertising, fuel costs etc?

Reply to
Leon

It is shocking that the garbage men are not paid like athletes. They absolutely work as hard for their pay... Those guys have to be some of the most physically fit workers in the country as a whole. At least the ones that actually lift and empty the can by themselves. And run to the next house. I am amazed the pace our collectors keep up. About as fast as I walk, I walk an average of 4mph, and grab the garbage cans too.

Reply to
Leon

So now we have to "contribution to society" in order to be paid well? If that's the yardstick then very few people on earth should be paid well.

If I build a mousetrap that 500 million want to buy, do I not deserve that money?

Reply to
-MIKE-

Yet, they could train orangutans to do that job in a month and they'd work for whatever they picked out of the cans to eat.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Reply to
Leon

I think some of them are orangutans. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

I went with a referral. But it was amazing the cultural difference between the salesperson who came to speak with me, and the group who arrived to do the work. I think the workers were working on some sort of "first-come, first-served" basis, as there were at least a half-dozen car and trucks on my street by 7:00 am. And since the first day was "rained-out", the same thing happened the next day.

Reply to
Bill

--------------------------------------------------- Le>>> You might be surprised how many vehicles are assembled in Mexico >>> and

------------------------------------------------ Max wrote:

--------------------------------------------------- "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

----------------------------------------------------- Sorry to see your company lost a valued customer; however, doubt your labor costs were the only cause the loss.

Unless you are in a business where the only value you bring to the table is low price, my guess is that somebody took their eye off the ball and truly forgot why this now ex-customer became your customer in the first place.

Just a guess.

And yes, if we are to loose a USA company to another country, then Mexico is the least painful since hopefully the move will help relieve the pressure on our entry level labor pool by creating jobs in Mexico.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Noooooooo! The more our products or services contribute to society the more deserving we are of the high pay. If you work to do something that greatly benefits society as you would work playing a game. Which would you pick as the job that deserves the better pay. I don't really determine a persons worth by how much money he makes. I just believe that if you are providing a product or service that benefits one or many people, what you charge is of more value than a person that simply entertains. Value for money spent is more important. Is entertainment important, absolutely but IMHO not a necessity.

Here is how I am looking at it.

You work 3 years to build mouse traps that nets you a profit of

25 million. Your product helps countless people with an actual need to rid their home of vermin.

You act in a movie that takes 3 years to film. You net a profit of

10 million. The movie you act is a box office hit for 6 weeks.

You put in the exact amount of time and work for both the mouse traps and the entertainment. BUT you earn 10 million more making the traps.

Which of the two jobs would you say benefited society the most therefore being the most deserved?

Now I am not saying that you don't deserve what you get with either pick, using our society's way of thinking and beliefs. A year from now while the traps are still in use and the movie is all but forgotten which would job would make you feel the best about what you have done?

"IMHO" if you sell your customers a product that benefits them for more than a few hours, dollar for dollar, you are more deserving of what you earn.

And again I don't condemn any one for making as much money as they can by doing what they want to do. This is how we have been conditioned to think in our society. You get all you can get while the getting is good, you are entitled. And "IMHO" that is the problem.

Reply to
Leon