RE: Cudos to Apex Tool Group

Page 4 of 9
On 3/22/2015 6:12 PM, snipped-for-privacy@zzz.com wrote:

And that falls true in a "It's all about me" society.

Missing it.

Of course it is. Society would be a whole lot *better* if everyone optimized their situation rather than taking from another.

It's called "choice".
On 3/22/2015 5:38 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

The pay for athletes can be justified the same way. The owners are often billionaires and the team evidently brings in the dollars. Unfortunately, dad can't afford to take the kids to the game, but many times they are sold out.
I guess as long as people pay the price and buy the beer it will continue.
Not to mention that the Kardashians truly deserve the big buck for their contribution to our society.
On 3/22/2015 9:43 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Exactly. Spend the money where you want but don't let uneducated decisions steal your money. Think about how spending money best helps YOU out, not the way that the advertisers/other people tell you how you should spend it. And paying big bucks to the entertainers/game players by advertisers "is" advertizing "telling you" how to spend your money. They pull you in with easily replaceable and an endless supply of easy to replace fun stuff.

I don't think so, at all. There are only a handful of people with the skills those entertainers have. *MANY* people are willing to pay to see them do their thing. OTOH, there are *MANY* health care workers and educators and many people who have to pay their salary. In the end, people (and things) are worth exactly what someone is willing to pay (for) them.

On 3/22/2015 6:08 PM, snipped-for-privacy@zzz.com wrote:

And you have just described how our society works and why it is where it is at today as far as the economy goes.

No, I really haven't. In my world there would be no minimum wage, unions, or about 99% of the government regulations.

On 3/22/2015 6:24 PM, snipped-for-privacy@zzz.com wrote:

But our society is not like "in your world". It is exactly how it is now, screwed up.

That is *NOT* why it's screwed up. It's screwed up because people won't take care of their own. Forget what the other guy makes. It's irrelevant.
On 3/23/2015 8:58 PM, snipped-for-privacy@zzz.com wrote:

Exactly, spending less money on education and more on entertainment is a make me feel good NOW habit. I'll let the government take care of me after I have spent my rainy day money.

Nonsense. I have plenty of money to do both and choose to save for the future, to boot. The problem is that government makes a golden hammock out of the safety net.
On 3/24/2015 7:56 PM, snipped-for-privacy@zzz.com wrote:

And every one spends exactly like you.

Learn to take care of yourself or suffer the consequences. It really is that simple.
On 3/25/2015 7:34 PM, snipped-for-privacy@zzz.com wrote:

And how do you learn to take care of your self???, sometimes it needs to be taught in your education.
I will admit that I did not get a thorough education but I have been very comfortably retired for 20 years since age 40 and have been totally debt free since 1997.

Usually, one makes some mistakes and fixes them. One has to care, though. With the golden hammock, the motivation is greatly reduced, though.

So you admit that it's possible. ;-)
On 3/25/2015 9:13 PM, snipped-for-privacy@zzz.com wrote:

LOL, but only with the help of a spread sheet program and my first computer in 1986. I painted a picture on a spread sheet of what refinancing and adding extra money with each payment would save me and for me it saved me 14 years off of an original 30 year mortgage. That was 6 years into that 30 year mortgage.
I showed this spread sheet to 5 relatives, friends, and my boss. All but one began the process of paying their homes off early almost immediately after I showed them how to do this. Shockingly, my boss/the owner of the company, accelerated payments to the tune of 10K per month and paid his house of within the year. I could not believe that he had not thought of this himself.
Anyway, 2 years after I retired my wife and I paid our house off after 16 total years. We originally had a 30 year mortgage and began working to accelerate payments, 6 years later, by first refinancing to 15 years and then paying extra with each payment.
So if you spend your money wisely you get to keep more of it. But our society does not promote this way of thinking. I think better educators that don't have to play baby sitters could teach this. This needs to be taught. I was once described by a home salesman as un-American when I paid cash for my next home. He was kidding of course but that comment told me a lot.

Spreadsheets just make more complicated messes. If you can't solve a problem without one, you can't solve it with one.

Interest tables will do the same thing.

Really! Owners tend to be quite conservative, financially, and know the time value of money.

We paid our AL home from a $150K mortgage down to $30K in the three years we lived there. We could have paid this one off when that sold but bought two cars with cash, instead. Our mortgage is less than $30K now and it will be paid off shortly.

Good idea. There are many things that need to be taught but it's not going to happen in the schools.

He was kidding. It's not unusual, at all, for people to pay cash for homes. A quick search finds an article that states that 42% of purchases were cash transactions in Nov '13.
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/nearly-half-of-all-homes-are-purchased-in-cash-2013-08-29
On 3/26/2015 7:49 PM, snipped-for-privacy@zzz.com wrote:

LOL, are you one of those?

Essentially that is what my spread sheet did, except it let you vary the amount of monthly extra contribution or not and shows you the date that the loan would be paid with or with out contributions and after pay off the amount you saved for the remainder of the original term. Keep in mind that I made up this spread sheet almost 30 years ago. I'm sure that there are better ways now but back then not so much.

Well, it is the norm to have house payments, most don't think of not having them. I also pointed out to him that putting extra money in on his regular payment was like getting the same interest back as a savings account would have done at the time. If his mortgage interest rate was 8% it was like earning 8% on the extra money he paid in each month as he was not paying interest on that amount.

Yeah we had 2 car payments too. As we paid each off that payment went into the house payment.

Hard to say, it mostly depends on whether the big machine allows it or not.

I'm still talking about 20 years ago and late 30's to early 40 somethings. IIRC no one I knew was not paying a mortgage or rent.

On 3/27/2015 10:02 AM, Leon wrote:

You can use all the interest tables you want, but the spreadsheet makes quite a difference in perception. For years I just made the payment every month just as most people do and never thought about paying ahead. Then I got a spreadsheet. When I paid my mortgage every month, I'd enter the payment and the extra money. It was an easy visual of how much I'd save. It was an incentive to pay ahead. I quickly made a plan, but as time went by, I paid even more.
On 3/27/2015 12:06 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Exactly, you get immediate gratification of how any particular payment has saved you money that would normally go to that bottomless pit, interest.