RE: Chain Saw On A Stick

Today is the day when they prune the olive trees outside my window.

The trees are 20'-25' tall and in year's past, that meant climbing into the trees to prune them.

This year a new toy for the tree trimmers.

A baby chain saw with maybe 12"-15" cutting length attached to an aluminum tube maybe 12'-15' ft long which is next connected to the gas engine and the controls.

All most all the pruning is done from the ground.

The rest requires a ladder leaned into the tree.

Yep, things are pretty much up to date in Kansas City to paraphrase the old song.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

As you wish.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Mine is an 8 inch electric on a fiberglass pole. Great worksaver.

Reply to
clare

Sigh...

And now to download the lyrics so I can finish the bloody song and get it out of my brain.

Reply to
phorbin

I agree they are great but as an old duffer holding that much weight up in the air gets old fast.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

---------------------------------------------- Left my last ladder(s) on the boat.

These days other people do my ladder work.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Yours might be lighter then mine I've got the Stihl version where you use the motor for multiple attachments and I have the bigger one. With one extention and the saw extension I'm good for about 20 minutes then it's rest the back. Some of it is from my disability injuries. A tree guy I do some excavator work and hauling for went to using a Japenese saw on an extension pole instead of the power version. I miss when I worked being able to bring an 80' boom truck home with a bucket and top controls.

Reply to
Mike M

I use to spend 5 days a week with the thing traveling all of western Wa. We did commercial lighting systems. I ran boom trucks and other equipment working for and as an electrical contractor. I've worked in conditions you would like, like snow blowing sideways where as you work the boom, the truck wants to slide, or winds high enough to rotate the boom. Thank God we were allowed to stop for lightening. On the other hand some days I drove 6 hours and only worked 2 for electricians pay. It was fun most of the time but I should of thanked the guy who ran into the back of thruck and shattered both my femurs. I sure don't miss that job now. I've even a ridden one over in of all things a certification test. The testor said we had to test in all positions as I remember it as 150% of bucket rating. I told him the manual said not to extend over 50% to the side but he claimed it had to be the full range. Turns out I was right, the manual suppercedes ANSI. We were only up 30' went it started tipping. The reality is we both walked away as we were almost to the ground before the truck really started tipping over. We got a free truck repair out of it.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

For Clarification all 8 hours were for electricians pay. And I used to get 16 hour days sometimes on long one day jobs so I never complained with the overtime mixed in.

Reply to
Mike M