Re: Are cyanoacrylates all created equal?

Rockler's accelerator, at least, is not acetone. I checked on that a year or two back. All I can remember any more is that it's a fluorinated hydrocarbon of some sort, and that I found out what it is by Googling for the MSDS.

I seriously doubt that acetone is an accelerator, I use acetone to remove Super Glue before it cures and after.
I think the accelerator is trichloreythelene.
wrote:

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4169 (20090619) __________
http://www.eset.com

Not that either, I don't think, but it's chemically similar. Check the MSDS.

I apologize in advance for not speculating or going off on a tangent. I'll try to do better next time.
The active ingredient in the accelllerator appears to be N, N-Dimethyl-P-Toluidine. Acetone appears to be the filler/carrier and heptane the propellant for aerosol versions. Sources: http://www.accumetricinc.com/dynatex/PDF/DYN40002.pdf http://www.saftlok.com/stl/msds/accelerator.htm http://www.loctite-loctite.com/template/ying/pdf/docs/FT-HHA-EN.PDF Art

Shame on you! Quite trying to start trouble around here, OK?
You can make up for this error by starting a political commentary thread, one like the troll post that I believe is closing in on 450 replies.
How do you get that kind of attention in a woodworking group when as the OP, you have posted exactly two messages under the listed nom de plum?
EASY! Just mention liberals, conservatives, Demos, Republicans, Bush or Obama. Lotsa hungry guppies here.
Back on topic, my personal experience leads me to believe that there are differences in quality of CA glues. I use CA to fill little holes or tiny divots under clear or semi gloss finishes when finishing wood. I used bottle after bottle when I was on a pen turning jag, and then more when adhering cracks when turning green wood.
It seems the less expensive stuff doesn't hold all that well, but most importantly doesn't have a good shelf life when opened. The best stuff I found that personally meets my needs is either from Smith Industries, or the "Hot Stuff" brand of CA they sell at Woodcraft or on the 'net.
Both adhere well, and have great shelf life. WC even sell replacement spouts for the HS brand of glue bottles if you get a clog or dried spot blocking the flow so you can usually use most or all of the bottle.
Robert

A chemical engineer from Eastman Chemicals in Rochester NY told me, back in 1985, that Eastman was the sole manufacturer of all things cyanoacrylate. Period. Three different viscosities, 901, 903 and 90?. The rest was a packaging game played better by some, not so well by others. There may be more places that make the actual compound these days.
"Angela Sekeris" wrote:
=========================== A chemical engineer from Eastman Chemicals in Rochester NY told me, back in 1985, that Eastman was the sole manufacturer of all things cyanoacrylate. Period. Three different viscosities, 901, 903 and 90?. The rest was a packaging game played better by some, not so well by others. There may be more places that make the actual compound these days. ===================================== Probably 910 which is the one I was introduced to in the mid 60's.
Back then, Eastman was it, $10/OZ was the price.
Lew
Snip
It seems the less expensive stuff doesn't hold all that well, but most importantly doesn't have a good shelf life when opened. The best stuff I found that personally meets my needs is either from Smith Industries, or the "Hot Stuff" brand of CA they sell at Woodcraft or on the 'net.
Both adhere well, and have great shelf life. WC even sell replacement spouts for the HS brand of glue bottles if you get a clog or dried spot blocking the flow so you can usually use most or all of the bottle.
Robert
FWIW and you probably already know this. About 12 years ago I had a project that required a SuperGlue, I bought Maxi-Cure brand. When I started turning pens about 1 year ago I bought a couple of bottles of Hot Stuff, thin and thick. The Hot Stuff hardened in the bottle after about 1 year, I kept it out in my garage/shop tool chest. The MaxiCure was still good last year, I keep it in the refrigerator when not in use for 11 years. My wife used the old bottle of glue to reglue her nails. Long ago I read that keeping the super glues in the refrigerator extends their shelf life. I now have a bottle of TiteBond super glue in the refrigerator.