RE: A Question

Page 1 of 2
Am building a chest of drawers as follows:
Drawer sides and backs are 1/2 hard maple. Drawer fronts are 3/4 hard maple. Drawer bottoms are 1/4 birch ply.
Drawers are to be assembled using half blind dovetails front and back and epoxy. (Explanation later)
Drawer fronts have BLO & wax.
All drawer outside surfaces sealed with 2 coats of 2# shellac.
All drawer inside surfaces sealed with 3 coats of 2# shellac.
Each coat is lightly sanded with 320 grit.
Since the drawers are not assembled yet, it is straight forward flat surface sanding.
Since the tails and pins of the dovetails have some shellac on them as a result of my sloppy application of shellac, Titebond II can't be used for ass'y, thus the epoxy which will seal around the shellac coated pins and tails and cure.
Now the question.
IF you want to build drawers with the interior surfaces sealed and sanded smooth as a baby's rear end, what would you do differently from the above?
Lew

Agreed, finishing drawer interiors after assembly is just about impossible to do well.
My 4 cents:
Tape off the pins (blue painters tape).
Use a thinner cut of shellac (I don't like much build in that application anyway)
Take it a little slower as to not slosh finish past the boundries.
Try to leave as bit of raw plywood wood on the perimeter of the botton as a glue surface (yes, when using ply I glue the bottoms).
-Steve
Have built a plywood ramp, approx 2'x3' and a 4" rise on one end.
Have primed everything with:
http://tinyurl.com/ppxd73y
What I find interesting that it is oil based and still available here in SoCal.
If this were 30 years ago, I'd get some gray oil based porch and floor enamel and give it a finish coat, but that was then and this is now.
What is a good porch and floor paint today.
This will be exposed to SoCal sun year around.
Thanks for the input.
Lew

Don't know if you can get it in California but I like Glidden's porch & Floor polyurethane paint. It wears better than anything else I know of, standard colors are grey & white. In Florida, Home Depot carries it.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On Thursday, August 21, 2014 11:25:00 PM UTC-5, Lew Hodgett wrote:

I haven't had reason to use a porch paint, but, having seen this question b efore, I've always wondered why the gray deck paint, that is put on barge a nd boat decks, shouldn't be about the best. The gray "Battleship" paint u sed by the armed forces and other marine related services. As a deckhand, between semesters of school, we applied that Battleship gray paint on all exposed flooring type surfaces, on the dredge. It was/is non-slip, also. Maybe it's best only for those metal surfaces, though.
Sonny
On 8/21/2014 11:25 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

What I use:
http://protective.sherwin-williams.com/detail.jsp?A=sku-26282%3Aproduct-6874
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On Friday, August 22, 2014 8:23:32 AM UTC-5, Swingman wrote:

That's the stuff, right there. Easy to apply, >>REALLY<< easy to renew. A pply one coat as primer after your ramp has dried out for a couple of weeks . Then when dry, add a thick coat and broadcast some dry play sand in it. Then when that is dry, apply top coat.
Done.
Robert

Is this stuff good for fascia boards above the soffit? Can it be used alone or does it need a top coat of something else?
A few spots (3-4?) along my fascia are in need of touch up. Worn areas are all less than 12" wide and 6-7" long. Last year they started to swell a little towards the bottom so I figure they better get a coat of something or they'll be needing replacement soon.
`Casper
On 8/22/2014 9:58 AM, Casper wrote:

Most likely if your soffit is the Masonite type material and has begun to swell water is probably getting to it from the top inside and or through a seam along the fascia. Painting will most likely be a bandaid covering an underlying problem. I constantly fought that problem with out old home, it is a real PIA.

And the "haze gray" color will help conceal your porch from gunnery spotters when your house is just barely coming into visual range.
--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! BARBARA STANWYCK makes
at me nervous!!

My mother had Masonite crap on her house (built in the early '70s) in central Illinois. I had cedar in Vermont but have had Hardi on both of my houses down here. Some of it has to be replaced on this house. It must be a really crappy installation job because the hose is only seven years old.
Lew Hodgett wrote:

"Richard" wrote:

So how long has the pickup bed liner been installed or are you just suggesting it?
Lew
On 8/23/2014 5:31 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Just suggesting at this time, Lew. The paint is loose and flaking off. When I can I'll strip the rest off and spray with bedliner stuff.
It seems to last well on truck beds anyway.
On Sat, 23 Aug 2014 15:31:42 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

I think he's suggesting the spray-on liner material. It's great stuff (had it 13 years on my last truck and it was still as good as new) but I don't know how well it would work on wood.

Hi K,
Yes, I was a bit brief, perhaps.
There was one fellow I met sprayed the bottom of a '46 Chris Craft 25 footer with it about 4 years back? The boat is still afloat, if that means anything.

"Richard" wrote:

You got my interest, so decided to check it out.
Here in SoCal, a quart of material is $44 including sales tax.
A quart will provide enough for two (2) coats which is recommended.
At this point have less than $25 invested in the project.
Must as I'm interested, just can't justify a $44 additional cost to get a painted ramp.
Maybe I'll just sit on the project for a while.
Lew
On 8/23/2014 8:26 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

:)
Aw, common, Lew. It's a ramp - not a fence!
Lew Hodgett wrote:

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

Over the years, have used that technique for several things including galvanizing a boat anchor, anodizing a 15 ft whisker pole, glass bead blasting a frozen gear pump, and machine shop work.
Sometimes a 12 pack, most times not, but that was then and this is now.
These days not a workable option.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

The limitation is mine, not the potential suppliers.
"Artie" is a nasty bastard.
Lew
On Sat, 23 Aug 2014 18:26:45 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

splinter.