Rare earth magnetic knife holders

?Why not route the holes on the back side of the oak strip, but only going part-way through. That'd leave an umblemished oak face. Another similar suggestion would be to inlay a different colored wood "spot" centered on each magnet. The magnet would be inlayed from the back and the spot from the front, leaving only wood showing.

Karl

I have a lot of money tied up in my kitchen knives. Contact with some metals can also lead to an electrolytic reaction that will cause rusting and staining of the blade.

Personally, I wouldn't ever damage the blade surface by hanging them or dragging them across a magnet. That's just me... Would it be a good thing to make a custom knife block?

Hey... where's Lew?

Epoxy, damnit! :^)

Robert

Various analyses have shown what common-sense reflection has no trouble endorsing: storing knives in slotted blocks (especially wood) can put them in a great bacterial reservoir. Of course, if you scrupulously dry, chemically disinfect or autoclave your knives and maintain a block in germicidal condition, you're all good.

Aside, when Carl Linnaeus first grouped bacteria and viruses, he put them under the taxonomic heading "Chaos".

Regards,

EH

Reply to
Tom

I was wading through all the replies to see if I needed to post a link to these.. I use them for my lathe tools and they focus the magnetic force where you need it..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

The magnetism isn't a problem... I hold all my lathe tools on magnets and once in a while I feel a slight attraction between the tool and the tool rest.. A few swipes in the opposite direction, in my case pushing up instead of pulling down, demagnetizes the tool..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Maybe drill the hole from the backside, so the expoxied magnet is behind the surface the knife touches? Or drill the hole from the front and veneer over the entire piece. Might want to use some of those famous "sketchy" knives while testing for depth and thickness vs. magnet strength.

And after you're finished, get rid of the junk knives -- those things are MORE dangerous than good knives.

Reply to
Steve

Thank you -- my wife just came in to find out what was making me laugh!

Reply to
Steve

pH 1 stomach acid will dissolve steel dust. It's how mental patients occasionally survive swallowing razor blades.

Reply to
Father Haskell

bullshit

Reply to
-MIKE-

I agree with you but let's see your facts, cites or sites.

Reply to
Josepi

Someone tells you the sky is yellow and you feel the need to prove them wrong?

Reply to
-MIKE-

The problem is that his mental makeup has a hard wiring short somewhere. It's impossible to counter his comments because he's unable to comprehend logical replies.

Reply to
Upscale

Which brings up the point that some rare-earth magnets are made of materials (cobalt, neodymium) considered fairly toxic. If memory serves the REM I got from Lee Valley had instructions telling me to wash my hands after handling the magnets. So perhaps the grinding wheel thing should be reconsidered. Lee Valley also says their steel magnet mounting cups increase the effectiveness of their magnets by four times.

Reply to
DGDevin

One of these days I'm going to spring for that complete box-set of all his HBO specials and other TV appearances.

I especially like his 11th Commandment--Thou shall keep they religion to thyself.

Reply to
DGDevin

That's what I figured. You just troll Usenet looking for somebody to disagree with and have nothing to ever back it up or add to the discussion. When asked about your comments, you just get silly, again.

Reply to
Josepi

You're projecting again, moron.

Reply to