Rare earth magnetic knife holders

Page 2 of 2

Depends on the alloy. Some are magnetizable, some are magnetic but not magnetizable, some are nonmagnetic.
In any case steel in the particle sizes typical of sharpening is just a mineral supplement.

The weak magnetic field a knife may pick up won't hold on to metal particles under a stream of water for very long. Simply wash the knife before use and you'll solve that problem.
Puckdropper

I hold all my lathe tools on magnets and once in a while I feel a slight attraction between the tool and the tool rest.. A few swipes in the opposite direction, in my case pushing up instead of pulling down, demagnetizes the tool..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

pH 1 stomach acid will dissolve steel dust. It's how mental patients occasionally survive swallowing razor blades.
On 10/31/10 2:33 PM, Father Haskell wrote:

bullshit
--

-MIKE-

I agree with you but let's see your facts, cites or sites.
bullshit
On 10/31/10 2:33 PM, Father Haskell wrote:

--

-MIKE-

On 10/31/10 3:38 PM, Josepi wrote:

Someone tells you the sky is yellow and you feel the need to prove them wrong?
--

-MIKE-

The problem is that his mental makeup has a hard wiring short somewhere. It's impossible to counter his comments because he's unable to comprehend logical replies.
That's what I figured. You just troll Usenet looking for somebody to disagree with and have nothing to ever back it up or add to the discussion. When asked about your comments, you just get silly, again.
Someone tells you the sky is yellow and you feel the need to prove them wrong?
On 10/31/10 3:38 PM, Josepi wrote:

On 10/31/10 8:35 PM, Josepi wrote:

You're projecting again, moron.
--

-MIKE-

Quarter-sized rare earth magnets? You must have some hatchets for kitchen tools!.
I know rare earth magnets have a nickel coating, or similar, and I believe some of the rare earths ain't too good for you. Probably not a problem, but have you thought about recessing the magnets inside the back of a wood strip so they won't actually touch the blades at all? If the wood gets nicked, you could just sand it out and you wouldn't have to worry about the magnets getting damaged or gluing them in.
On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 23:42:51 -0700, "Steve B"

When you magnetize knives, they pick up small slivers of metal from wherever they rest, so you get extra shards in your food. Yummy!
Make an angled wooden rack and store the knives with the blade UP. It protects the blade and keeps it from dulling against the rack, and is safer than drawer storage.
I drilled a couple holes and store my fillet knife in its plastic sheath mounted underneath the upper cabinet. You could do something like that with knife racks, too.
These are damned cool, though. http://picsdigger.com/image/8e60323a /
I have one of these: http://picsdigger.com/image/4e579304 /
But you could build one of these for your drawer: http://picsdigger.com/image/33f9553c /
-- Most people assume the fights are going to be the left versus the right, but it always is the reasonable versus the jerks. -- Jimmy Wales
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message wrote:

When you magnetize knives, they pick up small slivers of metal from wherever they rest, so you get extra shards in your food. Yummy!
Nailshooter says knives can discolor or otherwise be harmed by magnets, you say they have shards of metal. I'll add my personal experience with six knives hanging on a magnetic strip for the past 20+ years. The blades have suffered no harm and have no visual differences. I've never seen even the tiniest bit of metal holding on a blade from magnetism. YMMV. I'll report back in another 20 years.
On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 14:57:11 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"

I have, after sharpening specifically. They needed a really good wipe. Given the size of the shards, it's not a big deal, but why give the knife an extra chance to hurt you?
I await your next report.
-- Ask not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive... then go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive. -- Howard Thurman