Rare earth magnetic knife holders

I want to take a strip of oak and rout holes in it for quarter sized rare earth magnets to stick my knives to rather than having them in a drawer, which I think is unsafe.

What is a good glue to use to hold these magnets in there? If they fall out, no biggie to re-glue.

But I'm a do it once kind of guy.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I have a lot of money tied up in my kitchen knives. Contact with some metals can also lead to an electrolytic reaction that will cause rusting and staining of the blade.

Personally, I wouldn't ever damage the blade surface by hanging them or dragging them across a magnet. That's just me... Would it be a good thing to make a custom knife block?

Hey... where's Lew?

Epoxy, damnit! :^)

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Don't glue, screw.

Upscale

One option:

Another option--it's not as pretty as oak but it's 7 bucks: .

A third option: Make a drawer liner with slots for the knives.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Hey... where's Lew?

Epoxy, damnit! :^)

------------------------------ I here master, I here.

Depending on magnet size, drill a blind hole with a brad point drill

5/8" dia and below or a forstner bit above 5'8" dia so that magnet is flush.

Rough up back side of magnet with a coarse grinding wheel.

Mix up some slow laminating epoxy thickened with microballoons to the consistency of mayo.

Butter hole with epoxy and set rough surface of magnet in hole and wait 24 hours before trimming excess "green cured" epoxy away.

Blue painter's tape is your friend.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Geez Lew! All that time and effort to mount a magnet, makes me wonder how long does it take when you have a "big" project to build?

Reply to
Upscale

Then he uses macroballoons.

Reply to
Robatoy

Steve,

I haven't seen anyone else mention this so either I'm the first or I'm stoopid... But won't the blade pick up magnetism eventually? That's not such a good thing to me but may be a useless or harmless trait otherwise.

I just envision sharpening the blade and knowing that there are small pieces of shaved-off steel all over the magnetic blade ready to jump into my food.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Quarter-sized rare earth magnets? You must have some hatchets for kitchen tools!.

I know rare earth magnets have a nickel coating, or similar, and I believe some of the rare earths ain't too good for you. Probably not a problem, but have you thought about recessing the magnets inside the back of a wood strip so they won't actually touch the blades at all? If the wood gets nicked, you could just sand it out and you wouldn't have to worry about the magnets getting damaged or gluing them in.

RicodJour

Depends on the alloy. Some are magnetizable, some are magnetic but not magnetizable, some are nonmagnetic.

In any case steel in the particle sizes typical of sharpening is just a mineral supplement.

Reply to
J. Clarke

When you magnetize knives, they pick up small slivers of metal from wherever they rest, so you get extra shards in your food. Yummy!

Make an angled wooden rack and store the knives with the blade UP. It protects the blade and keeps it from dulling against the rack, and is safer than drawer storage.

I drilled a couple holes and store my fillet knife in its plastic sheath mounted underneath the upper cabinet. You could do something like that with knife racks, too.

These are damned cool, though.

have one of these:
you could build one of these for your drawer:
people assume the fights are going to be the left versus the right, but it always is the reasonable versus the jerks. -- Jimmy Wales

Reply to
Larry Jaques

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in news:epzyo.1065$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe07.iad:

The weak magnetic field a knife may pick up won't hold on to metal particles under a stream of water for very long. Simply wash the knife before use and you'll solve that problem.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I have a lot of money tied up in my kitchen knives. Contact with some metals can also lead to an electrolytic reaction that will cause rusting and staining of the blade.

Personally, I wouldn't ever damage the blade surface by hanging them or dragging them across a magnet. That's just me... Would it be a good thing to make a custom knife block?

Hey... where's Lew?

Epoxy, damnit! :^)

How about a thin coat of epoxy on face of magnet?? ww

Robert

Reply to
WW

When you magnetize knives, they pick up small slivers of metal from wherever they rest, so you get extra shards in your food. Yummy!

Nailshooter says knives can discolor or otherwise be harmed by magnets, you say they have shards of metal. I'll add my personal experience with six knives hanging on a magnetic strip for the past 20+ years. The blades have suffered no harm and have no visual differences. I've never seen even the tiniest bit of metal holding on a blade from magnetism. YMMV. I'll report back in another 20 years.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I have a lot of money tied up in my kitchen knives. Contact with some metals can also lead to an electrolytic reaction that will cause rusting and staining of the blade.

Personally, I wouldn't ever damage the blade surface by hanging them or dragging them across a magnet. That's just me... Would it be a good thing to make a custom knife block?

Hey... where's Lew?

Epoxy, damnit! :^)

Robert

Various analyses have shown what common-sense reflection has no trouble endorsing: storing knives in slotted blocks (especially wood) can put them in a great bacterial reservoir. Of course, if you scrupulously dry, chemically disinfect or autoclave your knives and maintain a block in germicidal condition, you're all good.

Aside, when Carl Linnaeus first grouped bacteria and viruses, he put them under the taxonomic heading "Chaos".

Regards,

EH

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

Hmmmm.... not likely to throw out my wooden knife block of 30 years. I don't own an autoclave. I don't chemically disinfect. I wash my knives after each use, dry them, and put them in the block.

Perhaps you should enhance your cleaning protocols. I have never seen, smelled, or witnessed in any fashion bacterial growth in my wooden knife block.

With millions in use around the world, I wonder why this so apparent to you hasn't been an issue of "common sense"...

At any rate, to help you understand, this is a comparison of plastic to wood for cutting board usage. I was able to determine that if bacterial debris was able to be well managed on a wood cutting board that has direct contact with raw meat, raw vegetables, etc., then "common sense" tells me I am probably fine.

The knife block has a tremendous advantage over the cutting board which sees more potentially dangerous use. The knife block receives dry, clean knifes into a dry, clean slot. The cutting board deals with all manner of raw foods at all different temperatures, and then has them pushed down into slits cut into the surface from normal use.

Yet, according to UC Davis, the bacteria farming surface of a cutting board can be easily managed.

research has verified this study. And the wood vs. anything else issue for all manner of kitchen ware has been beaten to death. DAGS is a great ally when understanding this issue.

After re-reading that study, I am betting that my dry, clean knife block has an even better chance at a maintaining a clean, safe surface, much more so than the wood cutting boards.

Maybe it's just me and a few million others....

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

The other alternative is to have a healthy immune system.

Reply to
CW

George.

RicodJour

George.

You beat me to it. Carlin was, I believe, one of the greats.

Reply to
CW

I have, after sharpening specifically. They needed a really good wipe. Given the size of the shards, it's not a big deal, but why give the knife an extra chance to hurt you?

I await your next report.

-- Ask not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive... then go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive. -- Howard Thurman

Reply to
Larry Jaques