Radius plane: Sand before or after?

I've got a radius plane on order, this one:

's supposed to round over corners with a 1/16" radius. This brings up another probably silly question. Do I sand the flat sides of the (oak 1x2) wood first, then apply the radius plane? Will I then need to sand (gently, I suppose) the radius edge? Or do apply the plane to the unsanded wood, then sand the whole thing? Or do the coarse sanding first, or... what?

Greg Guarino

Reply to
Greg Guarino

I typically sand last regardless of what tool I use to shape the edges.

Reply to
Leon

Sand last.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I wasn't going to rain on the parade, but since it's already started drizzling...

I have the same radius plane and I never use it. I find the can opener style corner edging tools much easier and faster to use. Since the tool can cut on the push or pull, you don't have to reverse the tool if the grain changes.

benefit is that it cuts much closer into corners. The small distance from the corner is uniform, of course, and it makes a fast way to cut a lambs tongue.

RicodJour

I'm not sure which is worse, but I wouldn't go for those either.

I break arrises with 40 grit sandpaper, I round most stuff with a low angle block plane, and for posh work with a definite radius I use an old woodie rounder. This has a real iron and a real mouth, so it cuts properly.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Sanding leaves grit in the wood that is not kind to the sharp edges of tools. So whenever possible, leave sanding until after all the cutting, planing, and scraping is done.

Reply to
fredfighter